Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 Merlot G6 GT Coupe 3.5

So....i'm a little excited; I get a lot of work done to my car tomorrow. The first mod I did which I thought was the easiest was I painted the engine cover and the battery cover. I will post pics after I get my car back tomorrow.

Being such an inexperienced 'modder' to my car I am having a hard time trusting myself to do anything to it, lol. Ive only had the car 2 weeks and it is the best car i've ever owned; I would hate to mess it up! So a list of what I am having done at the bodyshop/mechanic tomorrow:

1. Full exterior detail to remove alllll the small scratches and make my precious shine.

2. Debadging the entire back end for a nice (contaminant free) smooth surface.

3. Getting my CRABS installed!! (Due to arrive at the shop tomorrow)

4. Getting a quote on painting my brake calipers. I am going back and forth between safe red and......yes......yellow!! I really don't know what other color would go good with the Merlot metallic. Any suggestions?

That is it. After this is all done, I think the next mod I am going to save up for (I really want) is a GT-R dual exhaust system. Right now I have the factory single. Does anyone know if I were to get the GTP rear valance, if this would work on an 08 coupe 3.5? I've heard different things.

·
Da.v3
597 Posts
Jesus....thats kinda sad....your paying a shop to do all those little things?..painting things...debadging...yish....i guess if you got the money all the more power to you...but i mean...i enjoy putting some time into my car and doing things like that....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Jesus....thats kinda sad....your paying a shop to do all those little things?..painting things...debadging...yish....i guess if you got the money all the more power to you...but i mean...i enjoy putting some time into my car and doing things like that....
Yeah I know, I honestly wish I had the courage to do it. I am kind of lucky that my buddy owns the shop and is willing to give me a good deal.

In all honesty, I tried to debadge it myself and made a complete mess of it :-( I was so heartbroken that I told myself I wasn't going to do something like that again. My buddy looked at it and said it is repairable.

I am probably going to try and install the CRABS myself for the experience. It really doesn't look that hard. Trust me, I would loooooove to do all the work to this thing; I love it so much, but i'm so inexperienced.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,352 Posts
Just make sure whoever does it sees the Instructions.

Crabs passed the 18 yr old girl install (with no automotive experience) test so
I know you can do it...;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just make sure whoever does it sees the Instructions.

Crabs passed the 18 yr old girl install (with no automotive experience) test so
I know you can do it...;)
^^ haha, ya I will definitely try it myself. I think i'll just have the shop clean up my debadge mess and buff out the car. I want to try and do the calipers myself also.

·
Da.v3
597 Posts
thats just the thing. its all so basic and easy.

Ive never done anything automotive...its just very straight forward. bleh! on to the pics!

·
Registered
911 Posts
calipers are real easy man..just did mine yellow this past weekend. bought a kit, took my time and was very happy with it after. spend a few minutes looking at other people's stories and tips on here for future mods. they'll usually tell you any trouble they ran into or what to do step by step so you're confident on the next mod. get yourself a caliper paint kit, a jack, a couple of jack stands and do it up...the only experience you need is how to use a paint brush and what to/not to paint. like i said, just read up on it and get yourself confident!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Its Really easy bro forreal. I literally knew nothing about my car when i came here...i read other peoples stories and helpful tips. PM'ed a few people asking for help if i didnt know something...and always received good advice/helpful tips. Dont waste the money on someone elses 'labor'...u CAN do it! Be confident in urself man...youll appreciate ur ride a-lot more when you can look at the mods knowing u did them. And wat 'debadge' mess are u talking about...if u mean mess like...glue and stuff....bro, take some nail polish remover out there put it ona rag and wipe...shit literally wipes right off. Read how i did mine its SO easy. goodluck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did it! ahhh so proud of myself. It really was easy. Damn she screams now!~ CRABS must be bitin her real hard:p

crabs.jpg

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And wat 'debadge' mess are u talking about...if u mean mess like...glue and stuff....bro, take some nail polish remover out there put it ona rag and wipe...shit literally wipes right off. Read how i did mine its SO easy. goodluck.
So.....long story short. I thought I completely messed up the de-badging but after the body shop tried to clean it up themselves, they couldn't. They said that the badges have been off at some point, and someone 'superglued' them back on and it ate through the clearcoat. I thought this sounded really ridiculous so I took it to another bodyshop for a second opinion. They said the same thing. I just couldn't understand it, it's a 2008 with 28000 miles. Well I noticed under the hood where it meets the quarter panel it looked different on both sides (texture). The guy at the body shop looked at it and said that he could tell the quarter panel and trunk had both been replaced at some point. I am assuming they took the badges off the old trunk and superglued them on this new trunk.

I was heartbroken, carfax was clean; you never can trust those damn things. He told me that whoever did it did a really good job and that I shouldn't fret.....

Anyways, the debadge mess wasn't my fault obviously. I'm having them sand and repaint it. That shop quoted me 403.00. My buddy's shop is going to do it for $200.

I would say ignorance is bliss, but I would rather have known....I would also say I woulda just kept the damn things on there if it was going to be like this, but I would rather have that nasty glue off my trunk, badges or not.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Wowwww....that blows big time. Well i dont think the nail polish remover would get that off. lol. well, i think u did the right thing i wouldnt chance messin it up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Looks really nice. I hand washed mine yesterday but a bird decided to take a dump right on the center of the hood. Also, what kind of car wash stuff do you use to get that high gloss look? I use the black ice by turtle wax and that works good but I want like a great detail shine. I don't hand wax it cause I have water spots that won't come out unless I have a buffer machine.

Looking good though keep it up this way I get some ideas of what to do.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks really nice. I hand washed mine yesterday but a bird decided to take a dump right on the center of the hood. Also, what kind of car wash stuff do you use to get that high gloss look? I use the black ice by turtle wax and that works good but I want like a great detail shine. I don't hand wax it cause I have water spots that won't come out unless I have a buffer machine.

Looking good though keep it up this way I get some ideas of what to do.
Got it buffed and detailed at a shop cause it had lots of scratches. Honestly haven't a clue as to the type of wax or polish they used. I can ask if it would help.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Did the scratches come out? How much did you pay? I am looking into do that too for my vehicle to make it look like new for the nice summer we are having so far here.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did the scratches come out? How much did you pay? I am looking into do that too for my vehicle to make it look like new for the nice summer we are having so far here.
The scratches were all over the place but were not past the paint. They came out really nicely; it looked like I just drove it off the lot. I was impressed.

It ran me 99.00, but I knew the guy. Got much higher quotes from other shops.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No tint yet. Hopefully soon. I may have to do the front myself though cause tint shops around here only do rear passenger windows and back cause VT law sucks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts