Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Air Conditioner is starting to smell sour or like vinegar... something along those lines. I thought my car was smelling bad, but it's definitely coming from my vents. It's gross. What can I do?

My cavalier A/C started to smell before it went bad and stopped working, however it was a different smell and a tad bit more mildewy than sour/vinegar. I read something about the sour smell could be from improper AC evaporation drainage. What can I do about this??? It smells so bad and I love my car, but she is literally stinking right now and I don't want/can't afford for anything bad to come of it! Can I fix this myself??

PLEASE help me!!!! :(

·
Registered
555 Posts
use lots of air fresheners

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
cabin air filter perhaps? Do we even have one?

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
So my Air Conditioner is starting to smell sour or like vinegar... something along those lines. I thought my car was smelling bad, but it's definitely coming from my vents. It's gross. What can I do?

I read something about the sour smell could be from improper AC evaporation drainage. What can I do about this??? It smells so bad and I love my car, but she is literally stinking right now and I don't want/can't afford for anything bad to come of it! Can I fix this myself??

PLEASE help me!!!! :(
Sorry to hear it, one possiblity is something got on the floor near the intake for the A/C. The poor drainage sounds like a legit prob too.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
A lot of the times it is due to a plugged drain. The moisture builds up, mixes with bacteria, and you end up with a funky mold growing in the system.

I know this sounds wierd but you might try an anti bacteria spray down the vents....
Lysol?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both. And it's really starting to make my whole car smell, especially after it's been running, then it's shut up all day while I'm at work. I think it legitimately sounds like the drain plug issue (did some googling), but I just don't know how to get to it... but I keep my car very clean and I vacuum it regularly, and I don't think anything is on my carpets, but from what I read, if the drain plug is clogged it can eventually leak water onto the passenger's side floorboard?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah, a while back I kept having a sound like something was in the A/C vent areas and it was a type of rattle, but more like a plasticy paper sound. It went away... everything was good... and now there is the smell. so maybe something was in the way/trapped,. worked it's way down and now clogged it?

·
GTP 06
588 Posts
easy way to find out is to park on concrete with AC on and see if water runs out onto the concrete. could be freon or antifreeze, or even the blower motor burning.
The drain tube for the AC runs through the fire wall. jack the car up and look at the firewall where it comes out. blast some compressed air into the tube..
maybe that flapping noise was candy and is finally starting to rot?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
easy way to find out is to park on concrete with AC on and see if water runs out onto the concrete. could be freon or antifreeze, or even the blower motor burning.
The drain tube for the AC runs through the fire wall. jack the car up and look at the firewall where it comes out. blast some compressed air into the tube..
maybe that flapping noise was candy and is finally starting to rot?
Thanks! I don't know when I'll be able to do all of that beings I live in an apartment, but I plan on visiting my parents soon... flat drive way, garage, air compressor, big jack, etc...

Should I not run my AC until it's figured out? Bc if it is something clogged, I definitely don't want anything getting into my car/floor area. Randomly it's really cool out today... it's weird, but I guess helpful for my situation!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts