Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I now have the GTP rear fascia, but the exhaust system I ordered back in December isn't going to ship for another month! I was thinking about doing something different and putting in an 18 inch 4" round magnaflow muffler where the resonator was, removing the muffler, Y piping it after the rear axle, and have two small magnaflow street series mufflers with tips coming out the back. I measured everything and it should fit. Also, the stock exhaust on my g6 is only 2 inches! The only thing that is 2.25 is the muffler tip! I thought eveything was 2.25"? Does anyone know if the GTP exhaust is 2.25" all the way through? Thanks......

middle muffler where the resonator was.

14" long mufflers/tips for the back Y after the axle.

If the GTP stock exhaust is only 2" then I will probably cancel the order for the GM factory system.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The only thing I can do to help you out is call the parts dept of ur dealership, they shoudl be able to give you blueprint that would have all clamp and hanger locations, pipe sizing for each flange and overlap.. thats what I did on my monte when I put the z34 exhaust on a base model!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
SimplyRed said:
The only thing I can do to help you out is call the parts dept of ur dealership, they shoudl be able to give you blueprint that would have all clamp and hanger locations, pipe sizing for each flange and overlap.. thats what I did on my monte when I put the z34 exhaust on a base model!!
don't hold your breath on that. generally speaking, dealership parts departments deal in "part numbers" and the electronic catalogs usually do not have 'dimensions' such as pipe length, diameter, etc. they can print you an 'exploded view' of an assembly showing locations of clamps and such, but as far as any dimensions......well you're on your own there!!!

good luck!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The hanger locations are the same for all G6 sedans.

I just need to know if the GTP exhaust system is 2.25" I'm hoping it is. My '01 3800 Bonneville had 2.25, the GTP should with the 3.9 in it. I'm probably going to crawl under one at my local dealer to see. Getting the GTP set up will be cheaper than having a shop bend 2.25 pipes and using Magnaflows.

·
Designed For Action
509 Posts
Explr1 said:
The hanger locations are the same for all G6 sedans.

I just need to know if the GTP exhaust system is 2.25" I'm hoping it is. My '01 3800 Bonneville had 2.25, the GTP should with the 3.9 in it. I'm probably going to crawl under one at my local dealer to see. Getting the GTP set up will be cheaper than having a shop bend 2.25 pipes and using Magnaflows.
It is 2.25".

·
Designed For Action
509 Posts
Unless Borla or Corsa comes out with a 'Cat-Back' system, I'm going to have a custom exhaust done. I'm will go with 2.5" SS piping. The resonator will be replaced with a 'Turbo Pack' muffler and the rear muffler will make way for a MagnaFlow # 14266 muffler. Oh, 4" polished double-wall tips will grace the back.

·
Registered
36 Posts
SCGA1 said:
Unless Borla or Corsa comes out with a 'Cat-Back' system, I'm going to have a custom exhaust done. I'm will go with 2.5" SS piping. The resonator will be replaced with a 'Turbo Pack' muffler and the rear muffler will make way for a MagnaFlow # 14266 muffler. Oh, 4" polished double-wall tips will grace the back.
Grrrrr that sounds Hottt. lol. Someone needs to post some exhaust notes on here. Hook a white brotha up.

·
Designed For Action
509 Posts
disposablehero said:
Grrrrr that sounds Hottt. lol. Someone needs to post some exhaust notes on here. Hook a white brotha up.
:)

·
Registered
86 Posts
wow, that looks like a pretty restrictive exhaust. i just ordered my GTP today, and the first thing i will be doing is cutting that center resonator out and striaght piping it and replacing the stock muffler.

anyone know how well the cats flow on these things? i know on the late model S-Series trucks some people replaced theirs and some didn't cause the stock ones flowed really well. considering there is more restriction with two, i may get high flow cats too.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,352 Posts
Crossflows transverse mounted 2.25" mufflers are impossible to find. Im still looking.
I dont think they make them other than what we have already.
I think we need to cut out the back resonator/muffler and y it out for duals and instead of straight piping the mid resonator/muffler we should put in a muffler there - straight 2.25" mufflers are a dime a dozen.

Attachments

·
Designed For Action
509 Posts
bristol16 said:
wow, that looks like a pretty restrictive exhaust. i just ordered my GTP today, and the first thing i will be doing is cutting that center resonator out and striaght piping it and replacing the stock muffler.

anyone know how well the cats flow on these things? i know on the late model S-Series trucks some people replaced theirs and some didn't cause the stock ones flowed really well. considering there is more restriction with two, i may get high flow cats too.
If you want eliminate a good amount of restriction, replace the 'Y' pipe in front of the resonator. GM compressed 2 pipes to fit in a coupler that only holds 1 pipe. If you correct that and replace the resonator with a straight pipe or a high flow resonator, you will have a nice flowing exhaust system.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If I could hijack for one second,

I have been avidly looking at exhaust systems for my '06 G6 GT and I need to know...what the hell is a resonator?? I come from trucks (older ones, 83 and 95 model Ford Broncos) and have never had a new vehicle before. Hell, I've never had a car period.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,352 Posts
On your typical cat-back exhaust system, you'll see a couple of bulges in the piping that are apparently mini-mufflers out to help the big muffler that hangs out back. These are called Helmholtz Resonators and are very similar to glasspacks. The main difference is that firstly, there is no sound-absorbing fiberglass or steel wool in a Resonator. And secondly, their main method of silencing is the reflective principle, not absorption. An easy way to tell the difference between a glasspack and a true Helmholtz Resonator is to "ping" one with your finger. A glasspack will make a dull thud, and a true Resonator will make a clear "ping!" sound.

ref: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscellaneous/exhausttheory.htm

Ours is a big 35 lb piece of crap running down the middle of the car. I cut mine out. Dropped a Magnaflow in there and a Flowmaster series 70 past the axel. Then I Y'ed it out the back to Stainless rolled angled cut tips.
Sounds sweet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts