Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know basically nothing about exhaust. At all. I want to give my car a nice low roar to it, not to loud but noticeable. I did some research but am kind of confused. I've read to take the res out or do something else and put in a muffler. I've also been told just getting straight pipes to the back... As I'm not sure I came here for advice and to hopefully learn a few things. Thanks for any help :)

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
You will want to get an aftermarket muffler and aftermarket resonator then. Everyone here will recommend the GT-R system with a resonator for you which is a good choice.

·
07 Black GT Vert ♥
445 Posts
You'll also have to decide weather to go with Single or Dual ehaust tips.
If you presently have a single tip, you can buy a new dual tip rear lower bumper cover to accomodate the dual tip exhaust for about $107 bucks.
It might pay to shop eBay for this as well to save some money.

http://www.genuinegm.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=215088&chapter=&sectionids=0,2836&groupid=51817&subgroupid=2617&componentid=43228&make=28&model=G6&year=2007&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
I would recommend using a resonator or keeping the stock one. Removing it makes it sound too loud i find.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,352 Posts
that resonator is 36lbs of crap.

I recommend Classic Performance's GT-R. I have it. Love the sound.
He alters the baffles and it sounds awesome. Im also very picky. lol

If you get something other than the GT-R then put a flow through muffler where your
resonator is. If you just cut it out you will have too much rasp. Just get a cherry bomb or a magnaflow flow through to replace the resonator...just dont go over 4" in diameter or you will have clearance issues. Then get what you want for the back.

I recommend 4" tips. They looks best in the back valance. Im also on my 3rd exhaust....so I have a little G6 exhaust experience. ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked into the GT-R and its a little too high for me at the moment. Dual exhaust would look better but I think I am going to stick with single exhaust to save some money. The cheapest option sounds like just getting a flow through muffler and a 4" tip?

·
5,352 Posts
Sorry...I was just addressing the resonator.

Your still going to need to replace the back muffler too.

The flow through is for the resonator swap -to keep the rasp down & supplement your
back muffler.

Your choices are much more if your going to stick with a single outlet.

You can run 2.5" from your downpipe (flex) fitting on.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
I liked the way that Mark's exahust sounded. He has a clip of it on youtube...

Just a flowmaster 80 series muffler to dual tips. Its not loud but when you step on it, I find it sounds nice.

·
5,352 Posts
I had the same thing my first go round. Except I put a magnaflow flow-through where the resonator was cause without it there was rasp.

matter of fact its still sitting on my garage floor. lol

The sounds dont compare to the GT-R. Its sounded ok though but I was never really happy with it.

here is a snap from 2006 with my 2.5" flowmaster on....
you can see the magnaflow flow through up front.

I had a 6" and had clearance issues. Thats why I say go with a 3" or a 4" tops on the diameter of your res replacement.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if thats all you want is the flowmaster I just saw this:
http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17767
Thanks for link but on second page he says muffler is gone ;) lol

So really after its all said and done its not going to be much cheaper than GT-R is it? but I looked a little and I saw these... IDK if they will work or anything... Im just trying to find the cheapest way lol

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=9009
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=8854

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
For the GT-R system do they ship to Canada??

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
I wanna get the GT-R system, i'm sure shipping wont be cheap..I'll ask em none the less

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Yup just fired em an email we'll see what happens

·
5,352 Posts
Sounds better than what?? Ive read posts where guys remove the whole exhaust and say it sounds good. Sound quality is definitely subjective. Also vid or Youtube isnt very accurate. Go to car shows or club meetings and hear them for yourself.

Custom meaning you made your own exhaust?? I saw that the other day on Spike TV.
They drilled holes in a pipe....stick it in a larger pipe and smashed some brillow between them. They then welded plates over the ends with a cut out for the center pipe.

Basically a do it yourself cherry bomb. Looked cool. I think for $40-$60 I'd just buy one though. lol

My first setup was $100 to have 2.5" pipes bent and welded in & hung.
I took them the mufflers & tips. Seems like it was around $60 for the tips (which didnt last) and $75 or so for the flowmaster and $50 or so for the magnaflow.

It was inexpensive and not mandrel bent. The quality wasnt there and the welder did a crappy job. The sound was ok for the price. Better than stock but I wanted it to sing to me.

Im use to nice exhaust sounds....I several musclecars....and while the G6 is no racer I wanted it to sound good. Not like a lawn mower or a fart canned Honda....
Anyway.....you know my opinion. Whatever you pick post it up with a review.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.