Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 67300 miles on my 2005 G6 GT and have had lots of problems with the front end. I just had to have a ball joint control arm replaced. Buying a new car (or a used one) is not an option for me right now or the near future and I'm not a shade tree mechanic.

Consumer's Report says that the G6 is one of the least reliable cars out there.

My question is, should I invest in an extended warranty?

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Can you get an extended warrenty this late in the game?
I see commercials on tv that as long as your car is less than 15 years old and has less than 200,000 mi that they can set you up with an extended warranty. Granted I have no clue how good or how expensive the policy is...

·
Registered
452 Posts
Not discrediting CR or saying that they are not a reputable publication, but generally CR tend to sensationalize things a bit. I often find their sample size too small to give a good representation of a product's quality, especially if the product is relatively new. Most other reviews gave the G6 an average rating for reliability.

It's hard to say if extended warranty is worth the price but if it gives you peace of mind then it's worth considering.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you do decide to get an extended warranty - go for the GM warranty. I had an "aftermarket" extended warranty on one of my other vehicles - it was alot less expensive than the factory extended warranty - but it was a nightmare getting anything done.

Good luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just got my 06 G6 GTP a few days ago, and I got a 3 year 36,000mile power train warranty for about $1700

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not discrediting CR or saying that they are not a reputable publication, but generally CR tend to sensationalize things a bit. I often find their sample size too small to give a good representation of a product's quality, especially if the product is relatively new. Most other reviews gave the G6 an average rating for reliability.

It's hard to say if extended warranty is worth the price but if it gives you peace of mind then it's worth considering.
werd
they gave my truck a badddddddddddd rap, who rolled to a stop with 266,079 miles, due to a bad tranny. CR said it would die before 150k with severe engine issues :rolleyes:
maintain your car n take care of it, n it should last you a while

·
Registered
3 Posts
Will GM be around to honor Extended Warranty?!?!

Have a 2006 G6 convertible with only 5000 miles (Florida car for the winter). Regular warranty expires on 5/31/09. We're planning on keeping it for at least 2-3 years and am seriously thinking about buying the GM Extended Warranty. With all the electronics of the convertible top that could fail, in addition to the other documented problems, I think it may make sense...BUT...will GM be around to honor the Extended Warranty? :eek:

FWIW, was quoted $1100 for add'l 4Yr/32,000 miles. Can even do a 18 month payment plan with 10% down. Transferrable for $50 fee.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts