Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2005 G6, it only came with a french user manual and I, unfortunately can't read or understand french. Im having a problem with the door key and alarm, when I use the key to unlock the door the alarm goes off! horn goes off slow at first than constant, is there something wrong or is there a setting I need to change. :confused:Any advise would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Pontiac Enthusiast
53 Posts
I just bought a 2005 G6, it only came with a french user manual and I, unfortunately can't read or understand french. Im having a problem with the door key and alarm, when I use the key to unlock the door the alarm goes off! horn goes off slow at first than constant, is there something wrong or is there a setting I need to change. :confused:Any advise would be appreciated, thanks.
That's odd... as long as the key is unlocking the door, it shouldn't do that... I tried replicating that on my 2006 GT and it didn't do it for me... might be something wrong? wish I could help more but never heard of this issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's odd... as long as the key is unlocking the door, it shouldn't do that... I tried replicating that on my 2006 GT and it didn't do it for me... might be something wrong? wish I could help more but never heard of this issue.
Thanks for the reply. I've also noticed if the doors are unlocked and someone opens the door the alarm goes off!! Talk about annoying, I cant even get into the car without setting off the alarm, what's up with that? :mad: do you know what the difference in the alarm settings,passive and RKI?

·
Pontiac Enthusiast
53 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I've also noticed if the doors are unlocked and someone opens the door the alarm goes off!! Talk about annoying, I cant even get into the car without setting off the alarm, what's up with that? :mad: do you know what the difference in the alarm settings,passive and RKI?
Your alarm goes off with the doors unlocked too??? yeah.. something is definitely wrong... I would get the dealer to look at it, especially if you still have warranty or the GMPP extended warranty...

as for the passive and RKI... couldn't help you there unfortunately.. sorry..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the warranty is no good on electrical anymore, just bought the car, 2005 with 52 000 km. There is some factory warranty 5/100 000 km, 5 months left but I think its only on powertrain? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Lampoon a PDF sure would be great, I've been looking around the net but can't find anything.

Thanks for the input guys.

·
Pontiac Enthusiast
53 Posts
I think the warranty is no good on electrical anymore, just bought the car, 2005 with 52 000 km. There is some factory warranty 5/100 000 km, 5 months left but I think its only on powertrain? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Lampoon a PDF sure would be great, I've been looking around the net but can't find anything.

Thanks for the input guys.
Did you by chance purchase it from a used car dealer or privately? I would say if you purchased it from a used car dealer, tell him the problem has been there since owning the vehicle... worth a shot.. apart from that the 100k warranty is indeed powertrain only...

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
If you toggle through the menu and change the security from RKI (Remote Keyless Entry) to Passive (light flashes as if armed as a visual deterrant). If you change it to passive you should hopefully disable the alarm. I have the English Owner's manual, but not .pdf. :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you toggle through the menu and change the security from RKI (Remote Keyless Entry) to Passive (light flashes as if armed as a visual deterrant). If you change it to passive you should hopefully disable the alarm. I have the English Owner's manual, but not .pdf. :(
Tried both settings, no change, must be a problem somewere. Called dealer and told him I was pissed, as I have only had the car 1 day and they had to know it was like that. I'm suppose to call their service manager. Problem is, they didn't fix the issue when it came in, I can only imagine what kind of work they will do now that they have a bitchy customer complaining.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Actually got home and read the manual.

Passive arming will arm the system automatically after turning off the car and closing all the doors in 60 seconds.

Dumb question, you do turn the key COUNTERclockwise to unlock the car right? The manual says this should disable the system. Also, you should ask the dealer to get you a set of remote keyless entries for the car. When you hit unlock on the remote that will automatically disable the alarm and you won't have to bother using a key to open the car. Otherwise you have to start the car to turn off the alarm.

You should be able to get the remote keyless entries if you yell at them loud enough. Otherwise you'd have to buy them yourself and have the dealer program them at about $50 a pop.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually got home and read the manual.

Passive arming will arm the system automatically after turning off the car and closing all the doors in 60 seconds.

Dumb question, you do turn the key COUNTERclockwise to unlock the car right? The manual says this should disable the system. Also, you should ask the dealer to get you a set of remote keyless entries for the car. When you hit unlock on the remote that will automatically disable the alarm and you won't have to bother using a key to open the car. Otherwise you have to start the car to turn off the alarm.

You should be able to get the remote keyless entries if you yell at them loud enough. Otherwise you'd have to buy them yourself and have the dealer program them at about $50 a pop.
We have the keyless entry, and yes unlocking it with the remote disables the alarm, however even if the doors are not locked the alarm will sound when the doors are opened or when the key is used. And yes counterclockwise to unlock.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok this is really bugging me! I tried different security settings and everything I can think of and nothing. I even sat in the car, engine off, locked the doors with remote, waited for alarm to arm, unlocked drivers door manually, opened door and the dam alarm still goes off!!

Guess its a trip to the dealer and waste some money!

·
Pontiac Enthusiast
53 Posts
Ok this is really bugging me! I tried different security settings and everything I can think of and nothing. I even sat in the car, engine off, locked the doors with remote, waited for alarm to arm, unlocked drivers door manually, opened door and the dam alarm still goes off!!

Guess its a trip to the dealer and waste some money!
I have one more idea for you... it might work... try unhooking the battery for 2 minutes and rehook the battery up again.. you never know? sounds dumb but it might just work... besides... it IS a GM vehicle.. lol..

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was reading the same thing KB G6 was reading in the manual, turn key this way it does this turn it that way it does that but i dunno cause if i lock the doors with the remote and then use the key (no remote for my car on her keys) the horn still goes off, no big deal just jump in and start it but still strange none the less.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
We have the keyless entry, and yes unlocking it with the remote disables the alarm, however even if the doors are not locked the alarm will sound when the doors are opened or when the key is used. And yes counterclockwise to unlock.
If your security is on passive setting the alarm will arm after the car is turned off and all the doors have been closed (locked or unlocked) after 60 seconds.

Try changing the security to RKE and not locking the doors and open it after like 5 minutes, the alarm SHOULDN'T go off though the security light should be blinking as a visual deterrant.

Also if your alarm is armed if you open the door from the inside manually or using the power locks the alarm will go off...I think every G6 does this, happened to me once too. That is to deter people from using a coat hanger to hit the power unlock button.

Since you have remote keyless entry and can disable the alarm using that I think going to the dealer will leave you with lighter pockets but with the same car that acts the same way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Guys, am I to understand that if you lock your doors in passive or RKE settings, wait for it to arm and then unlock the door using the key, your alarm goes off unless you start the vehicle or hit the unlock button on the remote!! "that's normal" That makes no sense to me, what a cluster f**k!

KB G6, Does that work for you,
Try changing the security to RKE and not locking the doors and open it after like 5 minutes, the alarm SHOULDN'T go off though the security light should be blinking as a visual deterrent.
If so then something is definitely wrong with mine.
Thanks again for everybody's input.

·
Pontiac Enthusiast
53 Posts
Guys, am I to understand that if you lock your doors in passive or RKE settings, wait for it to arm and then unlock the door using the key, your alarm goes off unless you start the vehicle or hit the unlock button on the remote!! "that's normal" That makes no sense to me, what a cluster f**k!

Try changing the security to RKE and not locking the doors and open it after like 5 minutes, the alarm SHOULDN'T go off though the security light should be blinking as a visual deterrent.
alot of the guys on here don't make sense the best of times.. lol... it's NOT normal!! I would try unhooking the battery madkatt.. hope you get it solved..

·
Premium Member
566 Posts

I may try that when I get home. There has been thefts of stuff from cars lately so it's not safe to leave the doors unlocked. But I will lock it and try unlocking it with a key after it's armed and I will try leaving it unlocked and opening the door. I'll let you know about 4 PM EST. Hopefully I'll remember :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
alright, opened the door using my key and yes the "pre-alarm" goes off where the horn chirps and the lights flash...if I left it going for 30 seconds then it goes into it's full-on alarm. I'm not sure what the full-on alarm sounds like, never tried to nor accidentally set that off.

With the settings on RKE I didn't lock the doors and let it arm itself with the light blinking and opened it and it didn't set off the alarm. So I think no matter how you use the key you'll set off the alarm. I think that it goes off with the key is "normal."

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
alright, opened the door using my key and yes the "pre-alarm" goes off where the horn chirps and the lights flash...if I left it going for 30 seconds then it goes into it's full-on alarm. I'm not sure what the full-on alarm sounds like, never tried to nor accidentally set that off.

With the settings on RKE I didn't lock the doors and let it arm itself with the light blinking and opened it and it didn't set off the alarm. So I think no matter how you use the key you'll set off the alarm. I think that it goes off with the key is "normal."
Thanks a lot, Maybe mine is working properly after all. I know this is repetitive but I want to make sure I got it right.

With your alarm setting on RKE, the alarm chirped when unlocked with the key but didn't go off when all the doors were unlocked and you just opened the door. If the alarm is set to passive the alarm goes off both when unlocking the door with the key and when opening the doors when it is already unlocked.

Is this right?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.