Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well everyone - My lease on my G6 is almost over.
I wanted to purchase the car outright for the "fair market value". But GM Canada has other ideas.
GM seems to think a 2006 base G6 is still worth $11,900 + Taxes (Canadian). I proved to the dealer that the going rate is $6800 to $8500 for the car (they even have one on the lot for $7400).... But they won't listen
So - I'm done with GM
I will remain a member just to keep up with on-going issues with the G6 series
Take Care all - & Good luck with your battles!!
:beer:

·
Professional geek
433 Posts
Don't know what they do up in the Great White North, but down here in the lower 48 most former lease cars end up at auto auctions. If you really want to own your G6 post-lease you might consider letting it go back to the dealer, then searching for the VIN in a month or two to see where it shows up. A friend of mine watched his lease return sell for less than the residual (and in much better stated condition than it actually was, he off-roaded it). Again, don't know what happens up there but you should never pay the requested price.

By the way part of your lease contract should have been an agreement on the residual value. They are not going to sell you the car for less than that because you agreed to the price in advance. On the other side of that, be happy if you do not owe the difference between the residual and the current market value, a lot of people eat it big time on a lease return.

~ MattInSoCal

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info Mrslcom
However, G6 cars in the Maritimes Region are not fetching a lot of money due to issues with the close proximity to sea air & excessive salt usage in the winter periods. The cars are having a number of issues with the struts, more so than other regions. Also, there are a number of issues with the electric steering motors failing frequently – possible due to the strut bearings seizing prematurely as well.
So – the going price for a base G6 is $6800 to $8000, no more.
Please remember the new price for 2009 base G6 was $17900. Mine was $24500 in 2006 – so all G6 cars were devalued by $6500. For this reason, the resale price (used price) should reflect this devalued amount.
The black book value for a 2006 G6 is really low. I suggest you should go the the GM site and check the trade in value for your car .

http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/services/gmac/appraise-trade-in

Mine is really low, as follows:
Vehicle : 2006 Pontiac G6 Base 4D Sedan
Distance travelled : 99000
Options : 4 Cylinder
Low † : $3,890
High † : $5,590

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey,

I've only been on the site for a few hours, but since I just bought a G6 yesterday I figured I'd chime in. A lot of times like another member mentioned, you can buy your car back off of GMAC Smart Auction (all the off lease cars that arent bought out usually end up on here and dealers bid on them for inventory/customer demand) which is actually where I ended up getting my car from. If you really like what you had I'd either talk to the dealer to see if you can find a comparable model off the auction site - or even wait for them to list yours at the lower price and bid on it then.

The second part of the problem seemed to deal with repair issues. Although in a lot of cases extended warranties are a PITA, I think that in this case they can be well worth it as I purchased one for my car. As long as you get a car off that site or some other Optimum GM used vehicle, I believe you can add on an extended warrenty. There are quite a few available based on mileage/length/etc so see if you can find something that works. FWIW I ended up getting another 3 years/60,000km (on top of whats already on the car) for about $1500. Just a thought if you're thinking repairs are going to be an issue.

Like I said I'm new here so i'm still learning, but hopefully that helps you out a bit!

·
Registered
470 Posts
If the dealer doesn't want to make a decent deal, then *&^&*(* them, hand back the keys, and buy something you like elsewhere, even another G6 should you choose it. If I bought another GM, used at least, I'd get a 2006-2009 Impala LT with the 3.5L V6. A 2006 runs the same as a used G6 does, say $10-12K or so depending on the mileage, which is a good deal when you think about the added interior space, larger trunk, etc. Unlike the G6, GM still produces the Impala so parts will remain low cost. A couple times a week I'll see a parking lot (car carrier truck) taking a load of Impalas with the camo still on the hood and doors down the 401.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.