Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all i have a few questions and opinions i would like to see what you guys think...

QUESTIONS...
1. third brake light overlay-i wanna get a custom message over the 3rd brake light but i dont know how it works...i want the 3rd brake light to be smoke black then at night when i press on my brake all you see is the message without any of the non overlay showing do i need to first apply a tint over the 3rd brake light then put on the overlay??? i am very stumped on this or does the overlay cover the whole thing smoked black???

2. redline quicklifts- i am looking to buy this as soon as i get an answer from anyone that knows...i have the fiber glass ait hood and im just wondering will it still work to put the quicklifts on since the hood is lighter than the medal hood??? stupid questions i just wanna be on the safe side before i spend 100$

OPINIONS...
1. led washer nozzle(blue, white, regular no color)- when i was putting in my new hood i couldnt get the washer nozzle off and i pressed alittle to hard and broke it so now i have the option to either get a led 1 or get the regular 1 with no color what do you guys think the parts store has blue or white and of course just regular black???

2.license plate light(xenon white, blue)- i wanna make my tail stand out alittle bit more since i have all the leds mostly up front...so i was looking and i didnt know you could get so many different colors for your license plate light the ones i am looking at getting are either blue, or the xenon white what do you think would look better???

thank you all for taking the time and reading this and posting what you think very eager to see what you all think :)

·
Da.v3
597 Posts
hello all i have a few questions and opinions i would like to see what you guys think...

QUESTIONS...
1. third brake light overlay-i wanna get a custom message over the 3rd brake light but i dont know how it works...i want the 3rd brake light to be smoke black then at night when i press on my brake all you see is the message without any of the non overlay showing do i need to first apply a tint over the 3rd brake light then put on the overlay??? i am very stumped on this or does the overlay cover the whole thing smoked black???

I have never seen a decal / over lay do this. I would suggest tinting the 3rd break light yourself with night shade then getting an overlay. All over lays ive seen are just negative cut outs so you see the words day or night.

2. redline quicklifts- i am looking to buy this as soon as i get an answer from anyone that knows...i have the fiber glass ait hood and im just wondering will it still work to put the quicklifts on since the hood is lighter than the medal hood??? stupid questions i just wanna be on the safe side before i spend 100$

I do think it WOULD AND COULD work...but it would be fairly hard to shut the hood. I mean the quicklifts are balanced to provide enough lift to keep the hood up....so say the stock hood weighs 50lbs, quicklifts provide 60lbs of up force....new hood is 20 lbs....you now have to put 40 lbs / 4x more pressure down to lower the hood.

yes i pulled those numbers out of my ass

I would suggest looking for a diff option, one that is more specific to the weight of the hood...or atleast doing more research and not being a guinea pig lol. or hell, maybe you only need one lift instead of the 2

OPINIONS...
1. led washer nozzle(blue, white, regular no color)- when i was putting in my new hood i couldnt get the washer nozzle off and i pressed alittle to hard and broke it so now i have the option to either get a led 1 or get the regular 1 with no color what do you guys think the parts store has blue or white and of course just regular black???

Not 100% familiar. but i have to say it sounds rice lol.

2.license plate light(xenon white, blue)- i wanna make my tail stand out alittle bit more since i have all the leds mostly up front...so i was looking and i didnt know you could get so many different colors for your license plate light the ones i am looking at getting are either blue, or the xenon white what do you think would look better???

Think blue would get you some unneeded attention from the po po. I did the " pure white ". just ordered off ebay, plugs right in and looks great.

thank you all for taking the time and reading this and posting what you think very eager to see what you all think :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you so much dav that helped so much you answered everything how i was hoping someone would..

1. 3rd brake light overlay...i kinda thought that i needed to smoke it first i just wasnt sure how to do it, they make a overlay just for the smoke color lense but then when i apply the message overlay will my message still stand out???this is the part im confused about the most...do i make a fake message, outta the real 1 apply it and smoke it then take it off and put the real 1 on??? i dont want any of the red showing thru the smoke part i only want the message to be red when i press on the brake???im sry this is probably a very very simple thing to do i just cant seem to figure out how the hell to make the lense pitch black and have the overlay only been seen

2. quicklifts...the hood is only 35lbs. im not sure how much the stock 1 weights but ik its quite abit more than that..ty for informing me so well

3. led washers...lol i figured this would be very ricy and it would look kinda weird/stupid but i just thought i would see what ppl thought

4. l/p light...also another 1 of those things stupid things lol...i figured the blue would be alittle to much but just wanted to see what ppl thought...i think the white will look the best also

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here is a example so i can best describe this 3rd brake light overlay and why i cant figure this out

like in this pic you see that either the brake is on or its not im not sure but all you see is the message, you dont see red anywhere else...so im just stumped how i make the rest of the lense black and not the message black also...cause if i tint the whole brake light then put on the message i dont think you will be able to see it, so do i make a fake message, then tape it on then spray it, (apply overlay w/e way) then take the fake off and put the real 1 on????im so sorry again this is probably very VERY simple im just stupid i guess:(

Attachments

·
Da.v3
597 Posts
I think in that pic the break is not applied...just lightly glowing red - running tails - dim red.

all over lays i have seen are just thick material, that blocks the light completely...other than the words cut out. - thus showing those words

from what your saying...i gather...you want....in day....the whole 3rd break light to appear to be smoked, unless the break is applied?

If you want it to appear to be 100% smoked..when driving or during day..then only see the words when break is pushed..

I would say you would need to find a truly custom over lay. where the material is thinner where the words are....instead of cut out completely.

OR

Tint your tails - with night shade ( ive done this a few times now and it was my 1st time with a spray paint can ) its very easy

then put your over lay on top....it may not match 100%...or rather likely wont...but it would give the rough appearance that the break light is just tinted - then when you push the break you would see the words ( assuming you used night shade and not 100% black spray paint lol

I hope i got what you mean and answered it...and not just confusing everyone more lol

·
;)
386 Posts
All u need to do is apply your decal/message to the light, spray on the tint or even normal paint & then just peel the decal off for the illuminated message, clear coat & your done

·
Registered
441 Posts
My thought - and this may take patience and what not but I did this similar with a buddies car.
Put your decal on and tint it with nightshade - i'd say maybe 2 or 3 coats tops (you don't want it getting 'thick' with paint' and then remove the decal. Once dried apply another 1 or 2 coats of nightshade and then clear coat it. It may take a different number of coats but that is a rough idea.
Darken the entire light, remove decal, re-darken entire light so where the decal used to be is now smoked and the edges black
Not sure if I made sense but hope so!

David

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ty everyone that posted i was soooooooooo worried how to do this very simple and easy mod i guess i was just thinking way WAY to much into it..

UPDATE...for the windshield nozzles i picked up some regular ones from autozone the leds were a BAD idea cant beleive you guys almost talked me into those :) lol jk imma put those in on saturday its supposed to be nice..i dont wanna drill into the pretty new hood :( but the wife says i gotta:mad: grrr

redline quicklifts-havnt looked much into this 1 ik from what dav said they wont work (or shouldnt work, not enough weight) if i google i should be able to find something similar or something that will work

license plate led- just ordered the xenon white 1... the blue was also a very BAD idea lol that woulda looked stupid on my car

3rd brake light- ok this is what i did but i still need help...ok i ordered 1 from grafxwerks.com its going to say 2PIMP4U (yes yes ik GAY but its the only thing i could think of lol) i went to autozone and picked some stuff up that is kinda like nightshade different name tho but i guess it does the same thing i didnt buy clearcoat tho do i need to??? and what about sanding? what kinda grit? when do i sand?? lol sry lotta questions from a dummy lol

imma paint the calipers this weekend picked up 2 cans of silver and 1 can of gloss black( calipers silver, caliper holder black) it will have a nice 2 tone kinda look to it wife wouldnt let me get anything else :( she said it wouldnt match the car

·
05 G6
101 Posts

·
05 G6
101 Posts
I am having sis push brakes so it shows without pushin brake u can't see it it is smoked out...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ty all so much for the help...i ordered the overlay and should be here mon-tuesday ill post up pics of how it turns out...(hopefully i wont fck it up to bad) lol

@tony-ty so much for the website that is very very good instructions in there

·
Registered
114 Posts
ty all so much for the help...i ordered the overlay and should be here mon-tuesday ill post up pics of how it turns out...(hopefully i wont fck it up to bad) lol

@tony-ty so much for the website that is very very good instructions in there
Sweet man, can you post a link to the product?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
05 G6
101 Posts
Well hope to see urs soon.......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.