Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys havent been on here is a while. Just had had an idea to do to the G6 but wasn't sure how to do it so I figured I'd ask. How can I rig the fog lights to turn on when the head lights turn on? Will I need to set up a relay? Where are the wires for these located and what wires (color) do I need. Thanks alot I don't know much about these things I'm use to my old YJ

·
Michigan G6er
217 Posts
I am no electrician but the easiest way i think would be pull out your headlight assemble and tie into those wires. So just go from fog light wires to head light wires. So you turn on headlights the fogs turn on too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I wasn't sure if that was too much on the head light wires. I don't want a loss of power in them. Also if its not bright enough out but the headlights come on if I push the fog light button the headlights go out so something must be connected somewhere for that to happen. Will that cause a problem? Or should I disconnect the fogs from their current sorce of power and put in a. Relay thanks

·
Registered
916 Posts
well reading around the web, I found that its possible to do. (factory fogs)
Splice into the headlight. Adjust some fuses in the engine bay.
But this will leave the problem of what if you want them off. I still would like to be able to use the switch.

I know from the factory its setup so that only 4 lights are on at anyone time.
Fogs+lows or Highs+lows.

Ive read that its illegal. to have more than 4 still i want this option.

·
Registered
638 Posts
well reading around the web, I found that its possible to do. (factory fogs)
Splice into the headlight. Adjust some fuses in the engine bay.
But this will leave the problem of what if you want them off. I still would like to be able to use the switch.

I know from the factory its setup so that only 4 lights are on at anyone time.
Fogs+lows or Highs+lows.

Ive read that its illegal. to have more than 4 still i want this option.
i dont know how that can be illeagle, i have a buddy with an 09 jeep grand cherokee and stock he can have the fogs on with the brights.

all that is needed to do this 2 a six is add one relay and a few diodes. ill draw up a diagram of how to do it in a bit.

i have already done this to my 6 lol.

·
Registered
916 Posts
So ive spent a long time trying to figure this out still LOL
Ive read lots of "how to" threads in other car forums but still it not the same setup as are car. And i really would like to use the stock switch. Not a rocker.
So if anyone has any ideas it would be awesome!
I don't need basics like how to wire a switch type stuff.
Ill eventually figure it out. But am a little stuck hahaha

·
Registered
156 Posts
Daniel, I agree with ya. I would much rather be able to use the stock switch than install a new one. but it looks like thats what im gonna do. hopefully someone out there knows how to get this done...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I know TGrill was able to set it up so his brights and fogs would be on, I think he used the pedal adjuster, don't quote me but if you can get a hold of him I'm sure he will help you with it

·
newcomer
46 Posts
i wouldn't change anything on the g6 electrical system.. I know there would be some stupid effects after.. probably engine check light turns on.. or your remote starter (if you had one) stop working.. I know because I changed my interior lights to LED and because they have different watt supply, my engine check light came off (had to go to GM to get it reset).. well..

·
Live Free or Die
13 Posts
Here is a link to a wiring diagram for the headlights on the 2005 G6. Not sure if it much help, but at least you'll know what you are looking at when it comes to the electrical!

http://www.e-toolbox.com/ads/wiring/va201392.pdf

I have thought of wanting to do this as well, but sometimes I think that having highs and lows on at the same time is plenty bright enough, especially with my HID lows.

·
Registered
156 Posts
haha yeah daniel, you and I are in the same boat. i installed a rocker switch that i should have done a long time ago and just called it a day

1 - 20 of 28 Posts