Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband has a 1970 Chevy Impala that he and my son restored together and the two of them are obsessed with it. I sew so I have been looking for a way to get the image of the car or one like it on fabric to make them shirts. I have found all kinds of classic cars on fabric but never a 70 Impala.
I have been looking for years for somewhere I could get custom fabric but the price was ridiculous or I had to order thousands of yards.
I finally found a place called Spoon Flower (www.spoonflower.com) that allows you to use your own graphic and have fabric printed for a pretty reasonable price. You can get different weights of fabric for different uses but I wanted the typical cotton weight to make shirts for my guys.
I like the fact you can size the art, change the back ground colors and even order just an 8" x 8" swatch to see what it looks like before buying several yards.
Once you order the sample you can approve it and then others can buy it too and you get a percentage of any sales of your design.
I know I sound like a sales person but after looking for as long as did for a service like this and knowing how nuts we can all be over our cars, well our Pontiac's I should say, I can see us all getting something to show off our cars!
This is what the fabric looked like as designed on line.

You may see the cars on it are actual photos of the car cropped out of the background and the windows tinted blue so the background doesn't show.
I ordered 6 yards for $110.00 and I made them each a shirt. Because I buy a lot of fabric I can tell you that for two shirts in the quality of fabric this is that is a fair price! This is what they look like.

The thing looks huge but it's a 2x. The only thing I would suggest is not to use black on the cotton for the background because it does fade right away. The company is constantly updating and upgrading the fabrics and dyes so that may change in time but we all have that favorite shirt that USED to be black right?
Here's a close up of the front of the shirt. The color of the fabric in this shot is bad. It really is not greenish.

Ah, but here is what I ordered today for you Pontiac-ians! (or is it Pontiac-aholics?)

I got it printed on canvas and plan to make a large bag. I will proudly carry it to all the classic car shows we go to and I imagine I will get several people asking me to make them one too!
If you are as car crazy as I am have fun with some photos of your car or maybe your kids or grand kids or even your own art work!
Please share some photo's if you do!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car in all it's glory

Very nice work! Have you posted any pics of the actual car?
I have two men in my house that restored a car. Do you think photos of the car are a rarity? Hell no, they both carry them in their wallets, have the desk top of their computers and phones showing the car, digital key chains with hundreds of photos of the car as it went through the restoration and no shi*t, we have an outdoor projector that most people use to put holiday images up on the front of their house well at my house it is an every changing image of THE car!
This is what it looked like when I bought it for them:

We only had the paint and chrome done by pro's. We did everything else ourselves. Her she is coming home from paint.

I will spare you from all the rest but here is what she looks like now in all her glory!

here is the magnetic quilt I made with a photo in the middle to be displayed at car shows.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.