Pontiac G6 Forum banner

6 Speed or Auto?

  • 6 Speed

    Votes: 14 56.0%
  • Auto

    Votes: 11 44.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
I never owned a stick before either and I drive in rush hour traffic 5 days a week, but I wasn't scared. There are definitely times when I'm tired of the stick, but I'm enjoy having it. I don't know if my next car will be a stick or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Weller said:
I never owned a stick before either and I drive in rush hour traffic 5 days a week, but I wasn't scared. There are definitely times when I'm tired of the stick, but I'm enjoy having it. I don't know if my next car will be a stick or not.
I was going to go with that auto GTP because I had driven auto my entire life, but when i took the 6 speed out I fell in love, I was still werry of the 6 speed in traffic but I like it more than the auto.
 

·
Designed For Action
Joined
·
509 Posts
The 6 speed manual rules. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
I've played around with the manumatic shifting, it doesn't really do anything for me. Anyone know how it compares to a manual tranny?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
Lucius said:
I've played around with the manumatic shifting, it doesn't really do anything for me. Anyone know how it compares to a manual tranny?
With the tapshift you get much better pull at higher RPMs in a lower gear. It's MUCH quicker than having it in 'D', especially off the line because you can redline it, whereas in 'D' it shifts at around 2500RPMs. Get on the highway and cruise at about 45 in second, and floor it and see what happens :glasses3:

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
GTPGuy82 said:
With the tapshift you get much better pull at higher RPMs in a lower gear. It's MUCH quicker than having it in 'D', especially off the line because you can redline it, whereas in 'D' it shifts at around 2500RPMs. Get on the highway and cruise at about 45 in second, and floor it and see what happens :glasses3:

Mike
I'll give it a try when I get on I-70 today, I've only tried it around town. I've also only shifted into automatic mode from a stop. Can you safely shift into it while driving? I want to say yes, but don't want to risk messing anything up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
I've shifted mine between manual and auto modes at any and all speeds without any problems. I did notice some " buzzing " noise from under the car when sitting at idle and the trans in 1st in the manual mode. When the lever is placed into " D " it stops, even tho it's still in 1st. I like the tap mode because I can get the trans into 4th sooner on a level strech and that seems to help the gas mileage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Auto. I have noticed when I slow down in manual mode the downshifts aren't nearly as smooth, you can kindof feel it in the drive train. Upshifting is very smooth though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
MP2 said:
Auto. I have noticed when I slow down in manual mode the downshifts aren't nearly as smooth, you can kindof feel it in the drive train. Upshifting is very smooth though.
Yes, the downshift from second to first is especially rough. You have to be going less than 10mph to not feel it at all.

Mike
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top