Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '09 GT, and I was wondering if there were any forged internals for the 3.5 engine? I'm willing to spend the money to get some power out of this car because I like the concept of having a sleeper. I tried googling some parts, but I cane out empty handed. And if I were to upgrade the internals, what kind of gains would I be looking at?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
85 Posts
Idk about the 3.5l but there definitely are for the 2.4l. If you do get forged internals i dont think you will get that much more power just from them, the main reason why people get them is to allow for more power. If you were going to turbocharge your car you would need them, to stand up to the added boost.

·
Registered
447 Posts
You wont need forged internals anytime soon. You should have the LZ4 so you can either pick up HP Tuners of EFI Live to tune your car with. Then just get some custom headers made and do some light head work, along with an intake and exhaust, and finish it up with a good custom tune. If thats not enough for you than rebuild your tranny with a better gear ratio.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wanted to change out or modify any engine components that would give me some more HP.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Forged internals won't do much unless you plan to run large amounts of boost. That's the real reason for em. IE my 4 Banger should be good to about 300hp before I need to worry about internals, and that's with boost according to some people.

If your looking for N/A power then your getting into cams and if you dare... boring out cylinders for more displacement.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I honestly don't know. Chances are probably not now that I think about it... but you could always get a set re-ground or custom ones made, but that can get pricey.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Do the easy basic stuff first then see if you want more power

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Do the exhaust and definitely get a tune. That should perk it up a bit. Then after that you may be going into more custom work.

·
Registered
447 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
An engine is basically a modified air pump, so any time you can improve airflow you can usually improve performance.
Often times the valve seats are re-shaped to promote air flow a certain direction into the cylinder, and the other air passages, such as up to the valves are cleaned up and smoothed out to promote air flow and reduce turbulence.

I found this over on the Honda Forums, It's pretty informative:
http://www.superhonda.com/forum/f93/port-polishing-how-works-what-does-127827/

I'd also suggest doing your own research on it, there is a lot of information out there.

·
TC...yea hit that button
99 Posts
www.60degreev6.com

I'd start looking over there... To answer your question, yes forged pistons are out there but they aren't cheap. P&P has been proven many times to be an effective modification for 60* V6 engines, especially when combined with oversized exhaust valves.

x2 on the Honda article

1 - 20 of 23 Posts