Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Found this community while researching. Glad I did!

2K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  NuptupTDOW 
#1 ·
Hea all, I'll go by Nuptup.

I just recently got an 06 G6 GTP Convertible over the holiday break and got it home. I'm currently in the process of getting her all fixed up since it was my parent's car for a while. They never drove it anyway, so I bought it off them. Since then, here's what all I've done to it, am planning to do to it, and am considering to do to it.

Finished Things:
  • Replaced serpentine belt
  • Replaced wiper blades
  • Re-finished headlights with Turtle Wax
  • Some minor body work to fix small dents
  • Fixed blend door
  • Replaced heater core while fixing blend door

Planned Things:
  • Swap radio for bluetooth Kenwood touchscreen radio
  • Buy tires
  • Leak check
  • Buy tail lights from local yard to replace broken lens
  • Replace reverse light bulbs in both tail lights
  • Get The Car Detailed

Future Things:
  • Keep eyes on junkyards to source replacement parts:
    • Replace/renew/reupholster front seats
    • Replace gauge cluster and steering wheel buttons with the 2009.5-2010 ones to re-add info-display
    • Replace shift knob collar due to scratches
    • Replace rear-driver window mechanism
    • Replace front bumper under-skirts
  • Replace windshield because Missouri is dumb
  • Replace speakers
  • Replace air filter
  • Get a tune for Mo Powa Baby!
  • Source a replacement transmission for when it dies
  • Figure out how to make my remote start work
If you have any questions or suggestions for things to do to the car, let me know! I'm excited to be joining the community!

See less See more
#4 ·
Yes it has been a while, I will try to post something tomorrow.
The other thing is you should do plenty of research before "ripping" that radio out. Others on this sight have plenty more experience that I do in this kind of work. They hopefully cHime in before you get to far.

#5 ·
Well, I've read into it a bit before actually joining the site. As far as I can tell, I can take out the radio, replace with aftermarket, replace my gauge cluster with 2009.5-2010 Cluster to move driver information controls to it, then replace my steering wheel buttons and now I get all of the factory oem functionality back. Unless I'm missing something...

#6 ·
Yes I agree but be careful. I stand to be corrected, but I seem to recall that the radio is synced to the car some how. Unless you have a tech 2 or equivalent you may not be able to do the switch if you screw something up. That might cost you some big. $$$ because you may end up at a dealership. Unless you are chosen by the dealer to be their loss leader for the day???

#11 ·
Sweet! That's nice to know. I was gonna junkyard hunt, but that works too!

Is there a way to specifically look for the red gauge cluster opposed to the White?

I know there is a red and a white option for the cluster with the DIC in it, which I need since I'm losing the radio. But I'm unsure on how exactly to search for the red in specific. Was it the 2009.5 one and white is 2010?

#12 ·
Looked on ebay myself, currently the cheapest one is 50$. I personally just typed in Pontiac G6 speedometer and just started scrolling through. You'll mainly see the 2006-2009 speedometers but you'll occasionally see a 2009.5-2010. As for white or red... I havent seen any of the only white ones. All the ones ive seen are red and white. I really dont mind the white numbers, they look clean. What boths me is the white area around the red ticks... Wish I could open it up and cover off that area...

#16 ·
So, I have done some searching and mostly settled on this cluster because it has the functionality and color scheme i like (unless there's another red one that's less blocky). Here's the item i.d., just search it on google and there are plenty of ebay auctions. 20818951

However, now I have another concern. I am fairly certain that what i will have to do for this is as simple as pulling the dash around the cluster, swapping the clusters, then using the plug from the original radio to the DIC in the new cluster. (I hope that's correct) But, my firend has said that I might need to have the cluster reprogrammed. Is that something that is true?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

#18 ·
???? best site ever they don't charge us to get an answer people are very friendly and save me so much money time and stress. Just keep posting posting every little thing helps. Because it's the little things cut-off notice cost a lot less than the big things on cars. Especially when it comes to transmission or gear fluid hose. It went from $3,000 to 30 I am so indebted. Anybody have any quirks with their G6 2006 I don't post about it doesn't mean I didn't go through it a lot of little fixes where I was going to do a lot of big fixes this car is pretty awesome don't give up. Reach out anytime never hurts to ask it's so much easier than searching and searching and searching of somebody already has an answer or something you could try and easy fix.ust ask cuz I've been doing all the work myself.. videos are awesome....haven't been having to watch any work is simple easy cheap and I still have my car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.