Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i d like to know if it would be worth to change my trannyfrom 4 speed auto to a 6 speed manual. Is it even possible? How much would it cost?

·
Registered
470 Posts
It will cost a good chunk of change more than swapping out the automatic. It will limit the fun factor, but you could put in a later 6 speed auto from a 2009 sedan. The manuals will be hard to find as they are rare in the GXP models.

You'll also need the PCM, wiring harness, clutch pedal/hardware from the manual car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
157 Posts
They weren't made in the gxp models. The only model to have it was the GTP!
And I think they made a few GTs manual. That's all.

If your looking to spend a chunk of money make a custom tranny!

·
TC...yea hit that button
99 Posts
'06 GTP
'07 GT
....were the only manual G6's ever made. And mated to a 3900 only. And the '07 got a closer ratio 3-6th gears.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I know that it will be a very expensive job. But will it be worth it? In my opinion, heck yeah!! I love my G6 and a 6spd would be crazy amazing. My question is will the F40 tranny bolt up to my g6? Or a cobalt tranny? Either way, it will probably be about $3k

·
TC...yea hit that button
99 Posts
I know that it will be a very expensive job. But will it be worth it? In my opinion, heck yeah!! I love my G6 and a 6spd would be crazy amazing. My question is will the F40 tranny bolt up to my g6? Or a cobalt tranny? Either way, it will probably be about $3k
YES

NO

Trans is about 500. Idk what the shifter and clutch pedal would run, but used is the only way to go. Clutch is about 130 from rockauto. It would a parts collection mission mainly, but it will all bolt up once you have everything. First verify that the subframes aren't different. And as for 3k? Seems high to me, but maybe it would add up to that...

·
Registered
290 Posts
SleepyAlero did this in his car. Went from 4 speed auto to F40 6 speed. Said in another thread that it was around $4K. the F40 will bolt up to 13 different motors. As he explained it to me, The wiring is pretty simple as in leave all the auto wires unhooked and tucked away and zero out the auto tables. He said he did it with HPTuners. Links below.

F40 Trans (Brand New): http://www.milzymotorsports.com/f40-6-speed-transmission/

Transmission Conversion Kit (Includes Trans but lists parts needed): http://www.milzymotorsports.com/6-speed-manual-transmission-conversion-for-grand-am-n-body-vehicles/

HPTuners: http://www.hptuners.com/products/vcmsuite.php

·
TC...yea hit that button
99 Posts
He converted an N-body, not a G6. He just used a G6 transmission since it is the ONLY of all the F40 transmissions to use the GM V6 bell housing pattern.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yes but the 06 gtp came with 6 speed. Have you ever looked under your dash at the pedals? There is a grommet where a clutch pedal can go. The kit comes with everything you need. The only thing you wouldn't need are the mounts for n nody.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey thats me. Lol yup. I did have mine converted. It was 3750 for parts. (All brand new from GM, thats tranny, shifter, pedals, lines, everything new 0 miles) and another 1050 for install. Which is a hell of a deal for that especially with the work involved. (MMS raised the price after he finished my car. He thought it was a little cheap for all the work.) But he still trys to make it affordable while also getting paid himself.

Id expect around the same price to convert a g6 auto to an f40 manual. I will tell you though. It really wakes up the car and is tons of fun!

·
Registered
28 Posts
If I were going to do this, I think I'd use an F23 or (more likely) New Venture T550, which is the latest version of the Getrag 282.
Fiero guys use all of those (as well as the F40) for various swaps. They all are available with the GM V6 metric pattern. (3.4, 3.5, 3.9, etc.)

I have the T550, bolted to a 4.9 Caddy in a Fiero. Although the gearing isn't optimal (the 4.9 is a torque monster) it works well, and is a complete riot to drive.

Edit - Then again, the largest drawback to using the F40 in a Fiero is having to cobble axles together. G6 folks won't have that issue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
waste of money
When it comes right down to it, any kind of automotive hobby - or any kind of hobby, really - is a waste of money. At least to somebody.
This, based upon the premise that anything that is not essential is, by definition, unnecessary.

How boring life would be...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Gaining?
How about a "fun to drive" factor?
It doesn't matter, if you've got the funds to spare, and it's what you want to do. Why not?
You're certainly not going to increase the value of the car, but cars (with very few exceptions) are never an investment, anyway.
If I mod my cars, it's usually a car I intend to keep and drive until the wheels fall off. Resale value is not a consideration. If it's something I plan to sell in a year or two, I just don't bother.
It also helps to know what you're doing. I do nearly all my mods myself, so all I'm paying for is parts.

People could make that same comment about any car.
Why make an engine or tranny swap in a Fiero? Lots of people consider Fieros to be crap cars. If I had a nickel for every time I've heard the term "flaming deathtrap", I could retire. :D
I know of an entire forum full of folks who would argue that question.

For what it's worth, I haven't modded my G6 beyond changing the wheels and tires, and the air intake. (Also changed the speedo calibration to reflect the bigger tires.) I bought it to be my commuter, and don't want to hurt the fuel mileage. Now that gas is cheap, I've thought about screwing with the tune, but even that is way down the list...

·
4,052 Posts
There is absolutely no reason to be threatening other members. We're here to help each other and share our ideas, if for some reason you don't like the idea don't comment. I don't want to have to ban good contributing members for stupid shit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.