Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2008 Pontiac G6 GT 4door. I got an estimate done and it's considered totaled, of course and it still drives really well despite the body damage. I'm going to U-Pull-It to pull the parts I need for the car and replace them myself like I've done with all my other cars in the past. This will be my first time removing the entire door from a vehicle, however. What tools will I absolutely need in order to remove it? I'm assuming I'll need a wrench and socket set, but I just want to be as prepared as I can be before getting to U-Pull-It. Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated!
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
131 Posts
When they wrote the estimate did they include frame damage? If they did you need to factor that in because it looks like the frame area where you mount the door will need repair before you can hang a new door. Just something to think over before you dive in.

·
Registered
542 Posts
When they wrote the estimate did they include frame damage? If they did you need to factor that in because it looks like the frame area where you mount the door will need repair before you can hang a new door. Just something to think over before you dive in.
It looks like the car has sustained a fair bit of damage. Are you sure?

·
Registered
131 Posts
The more I look at these pictures it's fair to assume that the frame will need to be straightened. If you don't have the frame right it will be hard to repair the body damage because nothing will line up properly and the car will not be able to track correctly when driven. Had my son in law, who works for Allstate,look at the pics and he agreed that the cars damage is severe enough for it to be totaled. If your adamite about saving this car best way out is have a shop straighten the frame then you can replace the door and fender but you still have to consider if it has front suspension damage. That wheel had to take some impact then it was transferred to other front end components. Good luck with this, I don't see a happy ending. Sorry.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Been there done that on several cars before. Your tire is pushed back which means the side rail/frame is more than likely bent inwards. Sometimes you can pull it back out to being straight. Other times you need to replace the front section. I don't know if this car has a bolted on front frame. I've pulled a 240Z, a Honda Accord and an Acura over the years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts