Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I was driving around today with the window down and I noticed there's a really high pitched "chirping" sound coming from my front-end. I thought it might be rotors or something, but it only has 3500 miles on it and the chirping only occurs when I'm going faster than ~15-20mph. The noise doesn't seem to be linearly related to the wheel speed (i.e., the noise doesn't happen twice as fast when I'm going 40mph vs. 20mph, although it does speed up a little).

Any ideas?

It's a '09 base with a 2.4L.

Thanks in advance,
Nick

EDIT: And it isn't when I'm braking, either.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dropped by the dealership today and had them take a drive in it. They said that they think it's the front axle seals. I have an appointment to have them take a look at it tomorrow......

I bought a new car so I wouldn't HAVE problems with it, especially with only 3200 miles :mad:

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
I dropped by the dealership today and had them take a drive in it. They said that they think it's the front axle seals. I have an appointment to have them take a look at it tomorrow......

I bought a new car so I wouldn't HAVE problems with it, especially with only 3200 miles :mad:
I hope that's the one and only problem you have.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got back from the dealer and...all they did was lube up the knuckle and hub. I didn't hear the noise on the way home, but it concerns me that instead of fixing the problem, they just seemed to cover it up. Oh well. If it makes noises again....

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
I got back from the dealer and...all they did was lube up the knuckle and hub. I didn't hear the noise on the way home, but it concerns me that instead of fixing the problem, they just seemed to cover it up. Oh well. If it makes noises again....
is this something you can do yourself? I think i might have the same problem

·
Jimmy B.
136 Posts
I hate to say it, but even the more honest dealership mechanics seem iffy about doing warranty work that isn't a quick fix. Most of the time, if it is a pretty quick fix or a cut-and-dry thing, they're very helpful- but if it's something that requires a lot more work or parts, they're at least little reluctant.
I had my car repaired at my dealer and they did a great job and the body shop manager Jeff was a huge help all along the way and was very straightforward with me. I pointed out to him that the trim on the little back window of my coupe (not effected by the accident, but covered under the warranty) has some spots and didn't seem to match the rest of the trim (looks a lot more faded) and he said that it's just mildew and that some bleach should take care of it, and if not I can bring it in and he'll use some stuff to make the black shiny again. Seems like he wanted to avoid replacing the trim, especially since it's attached to the window, even though it clearly doesn't match the rest. He said it was probably parked in front of a sprinkler on that side, which doesn't explain why it would be so miss-matched to the rest of the window trim on the rest of the car, or at least on that side of the car.
Anyway, hope it all works out and that it was just a fluke. Jeff found on my car that the factory paint job on my car is "thin," so who knows what else they could have neglected.

·
Registered
911 Posts
i got the same problem...i got an appointment tomorrow mornin to have my local (very trusted) repair shop put in a new control arm i have so i will have them take a peek at the chirp on mine as well and get back to you on what kind of info i get from them

·
Storm Trooper
323 Posts
Try this... Put your foot on the brakes just enough to put pressure on the pads but not enough to slow down. Of thechirping goes away then the problem is in your front brake pads. There is a clip that starts to viberate or squeek. The fix for this is to get GM replacememt pads with new clips. Or putwhite lithium grease on the back of the pads between the back and the clip. That is all it is...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.