Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
ASE expert
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Useally I answer questions, well I have replaced my entire suspension, Struts, springs, bearing plates, ball joints, lower control arms with bushings, inner and outer tie rod ends. Sway bar links, Hub bearings, Pads and Rotors, new aftermarket rims. Had Alignment done. There is absolutely NOTHING on the front or rear suspension that is loose. I have double checked 4 times now. I checked the coolant tank , it is secure and not rattling. Short of a rack-n-pinion or the steering shaft it sounds like a damn ball joint is about to pop out. I have made sure the bolt is not worn, the spindle is good, i have went over every detail with a fine tooth comb. Yet I can not find my damn rattle, Front only suspension near strut area even at lower speeds. Has anyone saw the Technical Service Bulletin about the steering shaft? Really has anyone had the Rattle and fixed it by replacing the steering shaft and did it sound like bad ball joints until replaced? Did it fix your problem? I want to see if that may be it before buying the replacement one from the dealer, its pricey. Or if it was a Rack-n-pinion? Thanks and please dont tell me that it is some part in the suspension I replaced and checked several times, I do this for a living and have narrowed it down to those two items and am asking for other owners experiences on those two parts with the front end being solid. I know this for fact as my tires are wearing evenly and its solid cornering and maneuvering. Its just the Annoying damn rattle. Its not a exhaust shield, splash guard, bumper cover, a forgotten tool in a wheel well, broken TPMS sensor bouncing around in a wheel (this happened though a while back), not the surge tank vibrating against the fire wall, no fender liners, broken motor mounts. I am also wondering if a possibility of structural damage/ The car was wrecked in the front but repaired before I owned it. Not bad just front driver pushed in a little. Thoughts?/??//:grin2:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not stated so I'll speculate. Sway bar bushings or cracked sway bar and then Front sub frame to chassis bushings. Not normally seen in my part of the country for the bushings, but drier and hotter areas a possibility.
Good Luck!

·
ASE expert
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the noise was there and it has new sway bar links and lower control arms with ball joints and control arm bushings. One of my coworkers suggested I take off the cover under the steering column then drive around and put my foot on the intermediate shaft and see if that's it.

·
ASE expert
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The front frame to chasis bushings is a good call, didn't occur to me, I did tighten the bolts a while back but I missed checking them and I remember a while back I had a caviler I was working on for a customer and it had one bad bushing and it made a lot of noise and actually made the car wonder pretty good on the highway.. thanks for the suggestion. Will look tomorrow, I really hope it's that simple and not the column or shaft.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Look hard in the area that was damaged from the accident.Don't know the G6 platform well as we just got ours, BUT my dads 07 LaCrosse has a HOLLOW TUBE SWAY BAR and they can crack or even break in the rear main area where bushings mount it to the subframe.Which on those requires dropping down the subframe to replace the sway bar. I know you stated that road handling is good on yours, but still something to check.
Good Luck! :)

·
2007 gt retractable
281 Posts
it seems to me that steering shaft rattle could be stopped by turning the steering wheel slightly while driving at highway speeds.i think my front end rattle is the dust boots on the struts.they aren't attached at the bottom.

·
ASE expert
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Look hard in the area that was damaged from the accident.Don't know the G6 platform well as we just got ours, BUT my dads 07 LaCrosse has a HOLLOW TUBE SWAY BAR and they can crack or even break in the rear main area where bushings mount it to the subframe.Which on those requires dropping down the subframe to replace the sway bar. I know you stated that road handling is good on yours, but still something to check.
Good Luck! :)
That's is some good I formation there. These are the type of answers and feed back I'm looking for. Not the obvious but the obscure one in a thousand type of occurances.

·
ASE expert
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BUMP?...Find anything yet?
No I'm afraid I have not. I was at a diagnostic update class last week and there must have been 30 guys there from different shops all dumbfounded. Next step is have my step dad give me some input, he is a engineer and airline mechanic. See if he has any thought, I'm pretty good but no where his level of expertise on a engineering level.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Since it sounds as this has been going on for some time now, and I gather that this is a daily driver.... There should be some kind of rub marks in suspension pivot areas, don't forget to look for those to help track down your noise.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know this will look like a random response but my trunk release would rattle not by the handle but more under the steering wheel. Check that out because it would drive me CRAZY

1 - 13 of 13 Posts