Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 pontiac g6, 3.5l v6 sedan. Stock rims, 77k miles, still on factory shocks/struts. Brand new tires (4k miles on them), they are Goodyear Eagle Gt All season, 225/50z/r17 94w

Heres the problem I am having. I went to local Pontiac dealer to get new tires, i asked them recommendation for best tires for my budget, I paid $650 for all 4 tires, pontiac dealer swore by these tires saying how good they were and all.

Ive had these tires for about week 1/2 before I got into an accident causing front end damage. I hit something with front driver side, my left front wheel was pushed back about 2 inches causing the tire to rub on sidewall.. I had to get the control arm and tie rod replaced cause it was bent, also needed a new alignment, needed a new hood, headlight and quarter panel. Now, before the accident i didnt feel any issues with the tires, than again it was only a week 1/2 with them. Ever since the accident my car doesnt feel right. After I got my car back the car didnt wanna drive straight, I would let go of the wheel and the car went to the right pretty hard, like the alignment was still off. The car is HORRIBLE in the rain, every single little puddle the car hydro planes really bad, compared to before the accident/old tires. Every bump in the road it pulls the wheel really hard and its like the bump overtakes the car, again before accident/new tires it was just a normal bump. And also, im not confident in the car at all anymore in corners, it doesnt feel like it wants to hug the road anymore, the steering wheel itself when turning just feels like theirs play in it, its not stiff feeling anymore.

So I took it back to the bodyshop (they did the body work, alignment and fixed the control arm etc), i told them my problems and asked them to re align it and also check out the front end for any other damage. They looked it over, re aligned it to specs and told me they couldnt find anything wrong with the front end, and said it was my tires. They told me the tires I have on there are a little to wide for my rim. Wide tires in general make it hard to get a 100% perfect alignment, and also they cause front end pull on standard cars, like if you hit bumps or grooves in the road, and in rain hitting puddles the car tends to go all over the road.

Anyone have some feedback on this? Should I go to pontiac dealer and explain my issue? because if it is the tires, these arent tires i hand picked, I asked them for advice on a good well rated tire for my money. I didnt want the cheapest tire, but I didnt want most expensive.

·
Registered
50 Posts
in my opinion i doubt that the tires are too wide because GM built the G6 with two different tires sizes that are almost identical, there is a 1.6% different between the size that you wrote above and the size i have which is 215/55r17.

If you know someone that has tires 215/55r17 that are already on rims that will fit you car than you can swap them and take your car for a spin to see if the problem still exists.

As for the aquaplaning i would take a look at the tire tread depth just to be safe because some tires use faster than others and a small tread depth could be a factor in this situation, amongst others of course.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Try rotating the tires, If this solves it then it's likely a tire or rim issue, if rotating doesn't help then it's probably alignment related.

My G6 (being a base) came with 215/55r17 and I switched to 225/50r17 A wider tire, and I have absolutely no problems. I'm a few thousand miles into em as well.

Tire walk is a definite possibility. But it sounds to me like your alignment is still off. They should have done a 4 wheel alignment, Because if the back is out of wack it'll through everything else off. Its unlikely you have damage to the rear alignment, but it doesn't hurt to get it checked.

·
Gpof59
46 Posts
I would take it to another body shop. Have the unibody frame put on a computerized frame alignment machine. It sounds like the body shop you went to did not straighten the unibody to specs. Have someone follow you down a road and see if your car has that wandering look, if it looks like it's straight. All body shop's are not the same!

·
Registered
411 Posts
What did you hit? If the left wheel was moved back and was out of alignment it would pull left not right. But if your frame rails are swayed to the right it could cause you to pull right. If you damaged your hood and fender you could have very well swayed your front frame rails. Where about are you? I work in a body shop and would be happy to take a look if your near by.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What did you hit? If the left wheel was moved back and was out of alignment it would pull left not right. But if your frame rails are swayed to the right it could cause you to pull right. If you damaged your hood and fender you could have very well swayed your front frame rails. Where about are you? I work in a body shop and would be happy to take a look if your near by.
Im In south jersey. I hit a small tree going about 6mph, but i hit it on a weird angle. The shop re aligned it and its alot better now, but it still isnt 100% straight. When I let go of wheel it doesnt go hard right anymore, itll go straight for awhile and eventually veer right. Its a little better in corners now but still dont have 100% confidence in the handling anymore as I did before the accident.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts