Pontiac G6 Forum banner

front license plate bracket

52K views 60 replies 40 participants last post by  dreamindragon67 
#1 ·
My g6 came with a front license plate bracket installed. I was a bit upset to find that this item had been drilled into the front bumper of my new car when I arrived to take delivery of the vehicle. Not sure if that is a factory installed or dealer installed accessory, but I'm not much of a fan.

Can someone confirm that this item is indeed drilled into the front bumper? I can't get behind the bracket to see if this is indeed so. I hope it is not, but I'm not holding my breath.

If it is indeed drilled into the bumper, any ideas on how to "get rid of it"?

I think I am stuck with the bracket, so I guess I'll have to purchase some sort of license plate to adorn the front of my vehicle.

#3 ·
yeah mine was drilled in the front and it mad me mad to and i spent a lot of time tring to figure out how to get it unscrewed but i dont have a bit like the dealer ship so for now i put this dumb skull license plate. if i did get the cover of i was going to get some like rubber plugs to fill the hole that matched my car color. so like dirt and water would not mess up the front. :mad:

#4 ·
Yeah I'm sure I could just take it back to the dealership and get them to remove it, but that would look worse than the bracket does with the holes in the front bumper. I'm not sure that there is anything I could "fill" the holes with to make it look any better. Maybe I'm being overly critical, but I just can't believe they would drill anything into the bumper of a new vehicle. Boggles the mind.

#6 ·
No, Oklahoma doesn't require a front plate. The dealership I bought my g6 from had to get my car from another dealership via dealer trade. I guess the other dealership had already installed the bracket. I was not aware of this when I chose the vehicle. I guess it's not really that big a deal, just kind of an annoyance.

#7 ·
Yea mine came factory installed. But unfortunatly New York requires a front plate. Its one of the worst laws ever. It does mess with the appearance of the front bumper! At least you can remove yours or place a vanity plate there. If i do its a $50 fine everytime i get pulled over for it!

#8 ·
Haha, Ohio has the front plate law and I think its the worst law ever. I refuse to follow it, I went 4 years without one on my Grand Am, so I skipped it on the G6 too. I told the dealer that I would not take delivery of the car if it had a bracket on it or if they had drilled into my car. They made me sign a realease that it was my decision. The bracket continues to live in my trunk with the spare tire!

As for fixing the holes you could bondo them up and paint it, but it would never look perfect. The Grand Am had a plate pocket and cover to hide any holes, but they skipped that design feature on the G6.

#9 ·
I now have a vanity plate on the front of my vehicle, and am learning to live with it. It's a pretty sharp looking plate so it's actually starting to grow on me. I would still rather be without it, of course. However living in Oklahoma you blend in quite well with a University of Oklahoma tag on the front of your vehicle! Especially when you went to school there. I'm sure you know how that goes BigBen living in Columbus. Must be plenty of OSU tags.

#11 ·
It's a dealer installed thing. The dealership that I purchased my Malibu Maxx from got it on a dealer trade, and THANKFULLY the front bracket was never installed. My dealership didn't get around to doing it before I picked it up.

Wisconsin has a front plate requirement (if you are issued two plate [which you always are], you must display two plates), too, but my dealer said it's rarely inforced. So, if I ever get a ticket, I plan on taking it back and having it installed... and I'll have the dealership pay for my ticket as well. ;)

#20 ·
Check it out!

Guys check out this site I found....bumperplugs.com. They make plugs that will fit in the holes drilled into your bumper by your dealer. And what's better, they paint them to match using your factory paint code! They are designed for Porsche's but they say they will work on most vehicles.

I think I would probably like these plugs a heck of a lot better than my front license plate bracket. So I am definitely going to seriously consider this option.

bumperplugs.com

By the way- this may sound like a commercial, but I can promise you I have absolutely nothing to do with this site. I'm just excited that I have actually found something that could be a viable option other than spending hundreds of dollars to have an auto body shop repair my bumper.

#23 ·
Well guys I received my bumper plugs and they are as close to a spot on match for the colour as I could have expected. However, I have run into a little problem. The front plate brackets are put on with snap rivets. For the bumper plugs to work, the holes cannot be any larger than 1/4 inch in diameter. Well obviously I wouldn't know that until I took the bracket off. And if the bumper plugs aren't going to fit, I don't really want to take the bracket off. So I'm in a dilemma. Does anyone know how big the holes are? Also, any tips for getting the bracket off? Thanks in advance folks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.