Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently searched the forum for threads concerning Strut Tower Braces (STB’s). Most were written long ago during the G6 production years. For background, STB’s consist of a sturdy bar or similar assembly that spans the engine compartment and is bolted to the tops of the strut towers using the bolts that secure the struts. This essentially ties the top of the towers structurally together, providing additional stiffening of the upper unibody forward of the cowl in the engine compartment where none normally exists. The intent of this is that once equipped with an STB, the increased resistance of the unibody to twist or deflect when suspension forces are applied results in more consistent/predictable handling in extreme (ie: racing) conditions. Some performance cars are equipped with these from the manufacturer and they’re popular aftermarket accessories though their effectiveness in street driving is debated. My car is a convertible and my interest stems from reports that an STB can add rigidity to convertible unibodies sufficient to reduce “cowl shake”, a common characteristic of convertibles in general.

I don’t think any G6’s were equipped with STB’s from the factory. However, GM did produce one (GM Part Number: 15286584) engineered for the 6th Generation (’04-’08) Malibu SS which was also built on the Epsilon platform with the G6 and Saturn Aura. Though not specifically designed for the G6, numerous owners bought and installed them on their cars with only minor issues of hood interference and bolt hole alignment being reported. GM’s stock of them sold out nationwide years ago and the parts site I checked reports that they’re discontinued.

During this time a few aftermarket vendors made STB’s specifically for the G6. The most frequently mentioned one was by Racingline, but there were a few others including one I bought by Megan Racing. Of course, aftermarket support has pretty much dried up for the G6’s so these STB’s will be where you find them.
(The vendor I bought mine from apparently has a few left:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Megan-Pontaic-G6-05-10-Saturn-Aura-07-10-Front-Upper-Race-Spec-Strut-Tower/233271176866?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
I did find one NOS GM STB on eBay for about double that of the Megan. It wasn’t worth it to me.)

There are two basic designs for the STB’s I’ve seen. One is like the GM brace which is a single, one-piece crossbar with base brackets welded to it. The other design by aftermarket vendors uses a crossbar with separate base brackets. The Megan bar is this type. The one I bought is actually very attractive with sturdy, welded and powder coated base brackets and a beautiful polished aluminum crossbar with sleeves for the retaining bolts welded at each end. The crossbar isn’t “hinged” as one reviewer described it. Rather, the design facilitates installation and subsequent easy removal of the crossbar only if room for servicing is needed as the base brackets can remain in place. Once bolted in, the crossbar becomes a structural member with the base brackets. In the case of the Megan bar, it’s mounted low in front of the firewall and easily clears the hood. Also, though close, the coolant and master cylinder reservoir caps can be removed as well as the engine cover. This seems like a well thought out accessory and I’m satisfied.

Though my car is put away for winter, I’ll update the thread later with driving impressions. I’m not expecting dramatic differences, but even subtle improvement will still justify it for me. Good luck, everyone. - Mark

1104191135a.jpg
1104191221_HDR.jpg

·
08 convertible
208 Posts
Thanks for the detailed post. Please do let us know if there is any improvement. I do notice a bit of cowl shake on mine but I also notice a general lack of "solid feel" which could be due to age and wear of various body/suspension parts (over 150k). I must say I drove Saab 9-3 convertibles for years and they were much tighter and more solid than my G6.
It would be interesting to hear impressions from someone with a very low mileage car.

·
Registered
229 Posts
You will not hate this.
I have the Malibu strut brace, direct bolt on to the G6. That jungle gym underneath is supposed to tie everything together, and it does, this helps complete the job. Definitely firms up the front.
Bought mine from my GM parts guy, and I'd like to believe they are out there salvage.
This is one of those things I don't understand why the factory didn't do this to begin with.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
2007 gt retractable
285 Posts
I recently searched the forum for threads concerning Strut Tower Braces (STB’s). Most were written long ago during the G6 production years. For background, STB’s consist of a sturdy bar or similar assembly that spans the engine compartment and is bolted to the tops of the strut towers using the bolts that secure the struts. This essentially ties the top of the towers structurally together, providing additional stiffening of the upper unibody forward of the cowl in the engine compartment where none normally exists. The intent of this is that once equipped with an STB, the increased resistance of the unibody to twist or deflect when suspension forces are applied results in more consistent/predictable handling in extreme (ie: racing) conditions. Some performance cars are equipped with these from the manufacturer and they’re popular aftermarket accessories though their effectiveness in street driving is debated. My car is a convertible and my interest stems from reports that an STB can add rigidity to convertible unibodies sufficient to reduce “cowl shake”, a common characteristic of convertibles in general.

I don’t think any G6’s were equipped with STB’s from the factory. However, GM did produce one (GM Part Number: 15286584) engineered for the 6th Generation (’04-’08) Malibu SS which was also built on the Epsilon platform with the G6 and Saturn Aura. Though not specifically designed for the G6, numerous owners bought and installed them on their cars with only minor issues of hood interference and bolt hole alignment being reported. GM’s stock of them sold out nationwide years ago and the parts site I checked reports that they’re discontinued.

During this time a few aftermarket vendors made STB’s specifically for the G6. The most frequently mentioned one was by Racingline, but there were a few others including one I bought by Megan Racing. Of course, aftermarket support has pretty much dried up for the G6’s so these STB’s will be where you find them.
(The vendor I bought mine from apparently has a few left:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Megan-Pontaic-G6-05-10-Saturn-Aura-07-10-Front-Upper-Race-Spec-Strut-Tower/233271176866?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
I did find one NOS GM STB on eBay for about double that of the Megan. It wasn’t worth it to me.)

There are two basic designs for the STB’s I’ve seen. One is like the GM brace which is a single, one-piece crossbar with base brackets welded to it. The other design by aftermarket vendors uses a crossbar with separate base brackets. The Megan bar is this type. The one I bought is actually very attractive with sturdy, welded and powder coated base brackets and a beautiful polished aluminum crossbar with sleeves for the retaining bolts welded at each end. The crossbar isn’t “hinged” as one reviewer described it. Rather, the design facilitates installation and subsequent easy removal of the crossbar only if room for servicing is needed as the base brackets can remain in place. Once bolted in, the crossbar becomes a structural member with the base brackets. In the case of the Megan bar, it’s mounted low in front of the firewall and easily clears the hood. Also, though close, the coolant and master cylinder reservoir caps can be removed as well as the engine cover. This seems like a well thought out accessory and I’m satisfied.

Though my car is put away for winter, I’ll update the thread later with driving impressions. I’m not expecting dramatic differences, but even subtle improvement will still justify it for me. Good luck, everyone. - Mark

View attachment 17519 View attachment 17520
i bought me one.maybe it will quiet the rattles.plus i do like turning in too fast.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good choice on Megan's Racing STB for the G6, although it does to the. The front up BEWARE it will be
p preload your froint end in HARD braking maneuvers allowing your ass-end to follow the front.... been there done it in the one picture you can see my STB, melted from the heat..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts