Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
08 convertible
374 Posts
Thanks for the detailed post. Please do let us know if there is any improvement. I do notice a bit of cowl shake on mine but I also notice a general lack of "solid feel" which could be due to age and wear of various body/suspension parts (over 150k). I must say I drove Saab 9-3 convertibles for years and they were much tighter and more solid than my G6.
It would be interesting to hear impressions from someone with a very low mileage car.

·
08 convertible
374 Posts
Michael is correct. Unless the firewall itself is not very rigid, in which case it might help, especially on the convertible. I'd get one if I can find a factory one or a one-piece aftermarket.

·
08 convertible
374 Posts
My thoughts are that like most manufacturers Pontiac had a chassis and had a great idea, 'lets make a convertible!', problem is, the chassis was not designed that way,

Dave, that is not the case. Pontiac didn'y "have a chassis". The GM Epsilon platform was first used on the Vectra and 9-3. And the 9-3 had a convertible from Day 1. So the "chassis" as you call it was most certainly designed as a convertible from the beginning. And a soft top convertible at that.

The 9-3 vert has no cowl shake and no handling issues. My G6 also doesn't have any handling issues but does have a small amount of looseness over rough roads. I can't say that's caused by insufficient torsional rigidity. I'm more inclined to attribute it to 150k+ on the clock, on all original suspension components.

·
08 convertible
374 Posts
Nup, that's funny but for real. Refreshing the front end will do considerably more than any aftermarket bar. The lower control arms tend to go bad (bushings), but at that mileage I would definitely consider new everything: tie rods inner and outer, sway bar ends, struts, sway bar bushings.

·
08 convertible
374 Posts
Depends on your capabilities and budget. If you can do everything yourself I'd do everything at once, you save a ton of time. I don't have a priority list, at that mileage I'm betting most of the wear items are ...worn:) I'd stay with brand name parts like Moog and Delco, some of the store brands are not so good. Best prices I found on Rock Auto.

·
08 convertible
374 Posts
Yes, some of the symptoms are hard to notice and not always intuitive. It took me a while to figure out I had a bad lower control arm, the steering pulled very slightly to one side when lifting off the throttle. With a high mileage car I would just replace all wear parts if planning on keeping it for a few years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts