Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to prevent the windows on a GTP Coupe from freezing. I Live near Toronto and this morning the temp was about -4 celcius and when I opened the door to get in the window didn't index down which I didn't realize and when I went to close the door the top of the window hit the steel strip above with a terrible crack. Is there something I can put on the window rubber seals to stop the window from freezing and not indexing down. I fear the problem will only get worse as winter comes on and I presume that broken windows are not covered by the bumper to bumper warranty and this could be very expensive if the window cracks or the electric opener breaks. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wannahavegtpcoupe said:
Anyone know how to prevent the windows on a GTP Coupe from freezing. I Live near Toronto and this morning the temp was about -4 celcius and when I opened the door to get in the window didn't index down which I didn't realize and when I went to close the door the top of the window hit the steel strip above with a terrible crack. Is there something I can put on the window rubber seals to stop the window from freezing and not indexing down. I fear the problem will only get worse as winter comes on and I presume that broken windows are not covered by the bumper to bumper warranty and this could be very expensive if the window cracks or the electric opener breaks. Thanks for any help.
Hey, we are on the same boat man today when i got off work i tried opening the windows but kinda of hoping the ice dun screw up anything and it didn't!! But as you said this is a concern cuz winter in toronto can be very cold! Help is needed!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Wannahavegtpcoupe said:
I opened the door to get in the window didn't index down which I didn't realize and when I went to close the door the top of the window hit the steel strip above with a terrible crack. .
So you are saying the window goes down everytime you open the door?
I agree with ragingfish, silicone lube.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i had the same problem down here in chicago. i usually put hot wate (on the sides of the car) to melt the ice off...but i dont think i should be doing that but it usually helps when u have to go somewhere on the quicks :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Ok, so the coupe has the feature where the door opens, the windows go down a little bit, right? (That's what I'm understanding).

Does it HAVE to go down all the way for it to seal properly? Where does one pick up silicone lubricant?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes, the coupe's window open almost an inch when you open the door. Since there's no window frame on the door, this allows the window to go up into the seal after it's closed. Otherwise, it'd be like my '84 Cutlass Supreme, where the window doesn't seal tight at all. I couldn't take that car through a carwash without water shooting in!
I'm concerned about this too. We get a lot of wet winters, and I'm afraid the side of my car will be covered in ice. Are those vent visor things avaible for the coupe yet? They might help?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Even with vent visors, the window could still get stuck frozen up. Because ice could still gather on the bottom of the window; along the beltline.

I noticed the same thing on my car the other morning, and was wondering the same thing. I would like to think, however, that the Engineers would have thought of this, and that the window and moldings will flex enough to allow it to close even if it doesn't index down.

I think I may call the dealer and find out about this; because even if it does break, something like that should be warrantied. Theres not really anything we can do to prevent it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had this on the 350z. I used to just push the window down when it wouldnt go down by itself. More cars are coming with this feature, like the bmw and the new mustang. Im hoping using the remote start will help a bit with the g6 coupe.

·
Registered
113 Posts
DO NOT use HOT water, if its cold enough out you will shatter glass. (at least the windshield, side glass maybe not) The silicon lube sounds like a good idea--alternatively you might try using RainX.

·
Registered
488 Posts
This was one of the first questions I asked on here when I was thinking about buying the car. I also asked the dealership, and they didn't have an answer for me, they were speechless like Umm Umm...So this is great. Good thing I have remote start.

Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the idea about the silicone. I got some at the dealers for my Grand Am and had forgotten about it. It is now several years old and I just checked it and it has turned into a gel. Will get some more and give it a try. I think I will also email GM and see what they suggest. Not sure how to get the silicone on the seal along the bottom of the window, although the old bottle of silicone that I have has an applicator. I have already had the window freeze, but I also hope the remote start will help with the problem.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just started snowing here today in Cleveland, so might have to deal with this problem myself in the morning. As suggested earlier, maybe the remote start will help by blowing some warm air onto the windows. I think the auto setting on the climate control will send heat to the defroster vents ( hopefully ).

·
Registered
279 Posts
musicman8120 said:
I think the auto setting on the climate control will send heat to the defroster vents ( hopefully ).
It is best to leave settings in AUTO, AUTO. If you leave the fan switch in OFF mode and do a remote start your manual setting overrides the automatic feature :(

·
Registered
24 Posts
My '08 Coupe's driver side window did not want to go down either,this AM.It smacked the door frame when I closed the door. I don't know where people are spraying silicone,either. The whole side window was iced over. It's not a very good idea,unless you live where there is no ice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
this winter mine did the same thing...
what i did when there was ice build up i would scrape first and kind of bang on the window to loosen the ice on the window near the bottom wear the rubber seal is.but mine would go down about 4 inches and would not roll back up unless i used the switch on the inside and the one touch window feature did not work either,but funny enough rolling up and down the window about 20 time and i kind of force the window to go up then came back to normal....only happens in the winter

·
Registered
278 Posts
i used Prestone de-icer spray. once i got to work i would spray the window and once i got home. i also kept a bottle inside so when i went to my car i could spray it if it was a bad night before i opened my door.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts