Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I encountered something interesting today. I left the house for a 20 mile trip. My fuel gauge had about 1/8 of a tank of fuel left. My fuel range was 71 miles. Seemed OK to me. On the way home, about 16 miles away, the low fuel warning came on. By now, the fuel gauge read just over "E". It was a windy day, so I stopped at a gas station to fill up. My fuel economy is at 24.5 mpg. Anyway, I filled up, and the pump only allowed me to put in 13 gallons of gas. The fuel capacity on the G6 is 16 gallons. I thought that was strange, as my low fuel warning was on, and the gas gauge was on "E", or darn close. Could I really have had 3 more gallons of gas in the car? I didn't think that was normal. Anyone have a similar occurrence, or is my fuel gauge maybe not accurate? Thanks!

·
Registered
152 Posts
There is a 3gallon reserve.. its just a safety feature.. u don't want your gas warning to come on when your tank is almost completely empty.. so don't panic when your gas light comes on.. you can count on 3 gallons being in the tank..

·
Registered
557 Posts
Fuel capacity is 16 gallons. Capacities I have found that the gas gauge is not as accurate as it should be, but GM fuel sending units have been notoriously inaccurate. Never trusted my Grand Am or my dad's Firebird. My girlfriends 98' Sunfire's gas gauge is completely worthless, doesn't move off full until there have been about 200 miles driven since filling up, then it drops like a rock.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Y'a never want to suck it dry; it's not great sucking the scum from the bottom of the tank into the injectors. Consider 2 gals dry as it barely covers the bottom of the tank. 1 gal left isn't even enough to get sucked in to the pump (just think of how hard it is to get the last bits of the chocolate-shake up with a straw, and imagine your "wash-back" being those last bits; ICK!)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sorry Howard but fuel is ALWAYS taken from the bottom of the tank, that's how you can run it dry ;)

I believe there is a federal regulation that mandates vehicles to have at least 100 miles worth of gas left in the tank when the low fuel notice is triggered. That's to cover for remote areas where there might not be a gas station every 20 miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts