Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Fuses and which one turns on

Tags
fuse
3K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  ellwoodops 
#1 ·
I own a 2008 g6 and i am looking into running a fuse from my dash cam to the fuse box. But unfortunatly my fuse box does not tell me which of the "not installed" fuse locations turns on with ignition. the attachment is about what my fuse console looks like (passenger side panel). Im unsure how to check which ones turn on with ignition and which ones are always active.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I understand what you are trying to do.
Skip ahead, get a piggyback fuse holder, and plug it into a fuse that works in the way you want.
Power runs through the fuse, and also provided a fused source wire for your project.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I understand what you are trying to do.
Skip ahead, get a piggyback fuse holder, and plug it into a fuse that works in the way you want.
Power runs through the fuse, and also provided a fused source wire for your project.

So, what exactly is the red wire on that used for? the hard wire kit im looking into comes with a pre-attached fuse and thats what powers the camera. The hard wire kit is for the rexing dash cam. i just need a fuse spot that starts with ignition and a ground which is simple enough.

#4 ·
Example:
Remove fuse for radio
Install piggyback
Install radio fuse in slot 1
Install a fuse for your item in slot 2
Splice your item's power wire into the supplied lead.
Your item now has fused power that follows the power scheme of the radio.

#5 ·
Example:
Remove fuse for radio
Install piggyback
Install radio fuse in slot 1
Install a fuse for your item in slot 2
Splice your item's power wire into the supplied lead.
Your item now has fused power that follows the power scheme of the radio.

So this is the mounting hardware. it wants to pull power directly through the fuse spot. so your saying i should cut and splice that power wire and install a separate fuse with the correct amps?

#6 ·
Yep.
Cut that end off, strip it, crimp into the supplied butt connector.
Use maybe a 5A fuse.
It's easy, it works, and is safe.
-or- you could get a test light, probe each cavity, confirm with ignition, on/off which have power when.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.