Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up, gentlemen...

Any of you guys know anything about this performance "GF Chip" that is advertised on this forums? :confused:

I've been kinda interested in performance chips but not quite sure about this one, $69 bucks seems to good to be true... :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
All performance chips are too good to be true. While it may work its usually done by fooling the PCM. So overtime you'll begin to experience problems and eventually get a check engine light. They do more harm than good.

You're much better off spending the money for a higher octane tuned PCM. Its written specifically to deal with higher octane and get more power and won't cause issues down the road.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All performance chips are too good to be true. While it may work its usually done by fooling the PCM. So overtime you'll begin to experience problems and eventually get a check engine light. They do more harm than good.

You're much better off spending the money for a higher octane tuned PCM. Its written specifically to deal with higher octane and get more power and won't cause issues down the road.
Hmm...good to know, thanks for that tip!

Now when you say pcm you mean ecu, or are they the same?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Its probably some resistors and such designed to fool the ecm into thinking ambient temps are different or something. Essentially making the engine run way different than it was designed too.
Jet performance makes chips too, though more expensive. A user on here had one and after some time was experiencing issues. Finally turned into a CEL and a Reduced Engine Power message. They pulled the chip and it was good to go again.

A proper tune is really the only option. And even so, the cost for a tune to gain nearly 15hp is pretty well worth it and reasonable IMO

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah tune is the way to go. My bro just had his WRX tuned yesterday. Said it was a huge dif. Not sure which route i will go as of yet

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its probably some resistors and such designed to fool the ecm into thinking ambient temps are different or something. Essentially making the engine run way different than it was designed too.
Jet performance makes chips too, though more expensive. A user on here had one and after some time was experiencing issues. Finally turned into a CEL and a Reduced Engine Power message. They pulled the chip and it was good to go again.

A proper tune is really the only option. And even so, the cost for a tune to gain nearly 15hp is pretty well worth it and reasonable IMO
Makes sense...

Now when a proper tune is preformed, does that include a upgraded ecu? Or using the original one is optional?

What are the costs of theses ecu's and tuning them?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I opted for a spare PCM and TCM from them, cost a little more but I can always swap back to stock tune if I ever need to... say for warranty work.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The other route i was talking about is just leave it like it is lol. Untelling what affects doing anything had. If it aint broke dont fix it right??? Lmao

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The other route i was talking about is just leave it like it is lol. Untelling what affects doing anything had. If it aint broke dont fix it right??? Lmao
Right..right...lol but if you can make it faster why the heck not! Lol

I'm all about general maintenance to, bro! Until it needs fixin don't mess with it...;)

Now cruisinG6 mentioned PCM and ECU, now we're talking about two different parts here, right??

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you want something to be totally faster, why not buy a gxp or step totally away fron the 6 n go g8 lol. Or just keep what ya got n focus on appearance. Like the 1 dudes signature says "it only looks fast" lol thats one funny sig. I know his is base, but wonder if base 4cyl or 6

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I think he's got the base 4 cyl. Personally I'm fine with building my 4 Banger. I can realistically get 250hp which is plenty for a FWD car. And the 4 cyl may be a shy lighter than the V6s.
as it stands once I finish my G6 I'll be looking into a drift project. With correct wheel drive I can have some serious fun :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you want something to be totally faster, why not buy a gxp or step totally away fron the 6 n go g8 lol. Or just keep what ya got n focus on appearance. Like the 1 dudes signature says "it only looks fast" lol thats one funny sig. I know his is base, but wonder if base 4cyl or 6
G8 is definitely a beefer daddy family car in my opinion and plenty enough horse under the hood! Although I do have a v8 already and really wouldn't want to try and afford the gas for 2 V8's...:eek: my truck on a fill up is about 65.00 and the G6 is about 45.00... oh boy now I need a:beer:

G6's is a unique car, and all in all, I'm just learning the ins & outs of it as it's new to me, plus I like getting my hands dirty, if I can do it myself, fix it, repair it, upgrade it or just make it run better, I'm gonna do it, but it's gotta be worth it...;)

What do u think? You drive a G8?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts