Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been having problems on my 2006 Pontiac g6. Both low beam headlights don't turn on. And when the high beams are turned on, only the drivers side turns on. I don't know what the problem is, I've replaced the bulbs on the passenger side and they still didn't turn on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
James2020 your probably past the point of being able to clean the contact points . I would suggest replacing the connectors as they have probably burnt up due to the poor connection causing them to arc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The G6's and other GM cars had a problem with the headlight bulb connectors burning up. I had to replace both the low beam headlight bulb connectors on my 08 G6 GT. I ordered them from Rock Auto.

·
Registered
115 Posts
There is two connectors for the low beams. If you pull out the wiring harness from the headlight housing you will find another connector. I had a problem with one of my low beams and it turned out to be this inner connector had corrosion.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is two connectors for the low beams. If you pull out the wiring harness from the headlight housing you will find another connector. I had a problem with one of my low beams and it turned out to be this inner connector had corrosion.
The connectors I had the problem with, are the connectors that the bulbs plug into.

·
08 convertible
313 Posts
If you pull out the wiring harness from the headlight housing you will find another connector.
I didn't see any such connector in mine. Do you have a picture? Or are you talking about the 2-pin connector for the headlight socket?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I didn't see any such connector in mine. Do you have a picture? Or are you talking about the 2-pin connector for the headlight socket?
The connector you are asking about is the white w / blue end where the wires go into it . People have stated that it too can fail ,
100_5662.JPG
but I find the headlamp socket to be way the more likely part to fail .

·
08 convertible
313 Posts
The connector you are asking about is the white w / blue end where the wires go into it .
No that isn't the connector I'm asking about . That's the connector from headlight to vehicle.

Dan Osier said there is a connector INSIDE the headlamp:
If you pull out the wiring harness from the headlight housing you will find another connector.

I'm asking him what connector he's talking about. I don't see what he describes.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sorry if I'm confusing you. I recently did the swap from 55 watt H11 low beam bulb to the 65 watt H9 bulb. When I was done the left side low beam was flakey. It wouldn't come on but if I hit the headlight assembly, it might be coaxed to turn on. Of course, I figured the new bulb was bad (because of the modification necessary for this swap) . But the old bulb now did the same thing so I checked the connector and it looked to be fine. I was pulling the low beam wires from the housing and there was a second connector which showed corrosion. I would love to pull the housing and take a picture but those things are a pain in the butt to remove. have you tried pulling on the connector? Mine had 5the second connector and wires tucked inside the housing somewhere.

·
Registered
115 Posts
OK... I will try to explain better. There is the connector for the bulb itself. the wires for that connector are maybe 6" long and end up at another connector. My thinking is/was ....Why the hell introduce another connector? If I ever have this problem again I will simply get rid of that unnecessary connector and solder the wires.

·
08 convertible
313 Posts
Why the hell introduce another connector?
There is no other connector. The wire harness in the headlight is exactly as shown in Indy's photo above. Just the 5-pin to the car and the individual connectors at each bulb. There is no 6" pigtail with a connector. I suspect yours has been modified.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Here is an example of replacement headlight harness for a Pontiac G6. The black end is the headlight connection (if you could click on the side thumbnails you would see the connector is for the H11 bulb). The blue end is the connection you are missing. I believe my headlight wiring is factory original.

·
08 convertible
313 Posts
Interesting. No, my headlights do not have that. Perhaps defferent years have different setups? Mine is 2008. I see your point now. Why have an extra connection? No idea.

Edit: I looked at the Amazon reviews on that pigtail and I think this may give a hint:
This worked perfect for the Pontiac G6 headlight issue (low beams stop working). I didn't need to splice, just add as an extension. Made sure this would work before I ordered the same part for the other side.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Perhaps their thinking was that the bulb connections tend to go bad, this was an easy way to swap in a new one. My G6 is a 2009 Base.
Sorry this was no help for you.

·
08 convertible
313 Posts
Not sure the OP is still around, but hopefully he and others may find this summary helpful.

1. The 5-pin white connector tends to fail on our cars due to corrosion. This is easy to see, disconnect it and you'll see lots of green corrosion if it's bad. Replace both sides of the connector.
2. Some cars also experience a failure at the bulb connector, particularly the low beam. This can be solved by adding the pigtail shown above by Dan Osier, or, as he suggests, solder it in for a more reliable assembly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I've been having problems on my 2006 Pontiac g6. Both low beam headlights don't turn on. And when the high beams are turned on, only the drivers side turns on. I don't know what the problem is, I've replaced the bulbs on the passenger side and they still didn't turn on.
I had the same problem with my G 6, the fuses in the fuse box by the battery were all good, I ended up replacing the headlight assemblies that had been messed with due to bad wiring you can check out headlight lens replacement on Youtube.com

1 - 18 of 18 Posts