Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a g6 and even with the car unlocked I open door and my alarm will go off how can I fix it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Run through the wiring beginning from the battery, back as far as you can go - you may have a corroded wire in the alarm system somewhere.

·
08 convertible
265 Posts
Make sure you understand how it works. If you lock it with the remote and unlock it with the key the alarm will go off. That's normal.
Does the alarm turn off when you put the key in the ignition and turn it?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Make sure you understand how it works. If you lock it with the remote and unlock it with the key the alarm will go off. That's normal.
Does the alarm turn off when you put the key in the ignition and turn it?
That's unusual. I've never experienced that.
Being that the alarm activates on every open and turns off normally, I am thinking the door lock security switch in the latch it self is defective.
When you lock the door, the system arms as the door lock switch is engaged inside the latch.
Upon unlock, the switch inside the latch disarms the system upon unlock. I'd guess that alarm switch is constantly arming the system.
Not serviced separately. May be able to pull the latch and try to clean the internals, but if you are going to pull it, may as well replace it.
Door latch/locks are like in the top 10 issues, not a lot of issues, but from time to time.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
08 convertible
265 Posts
Dave, perhaps your car is different, not sure all model years are the same. Here is how 2008 works, like the manual says:

·
Registered
297 Posts
That's strange all the way around.
Whatever the case, I still have to believe this is in the latch, as signal the security switch at the handle is the on/off.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
08 convertible
265 Posts
Dave, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. The latch is the sensor for lock/unlock and door open conditions. What the system does in response to the latch signal(s) is a matter of the system logic.

Beegrif, please be more specific. Under what conditions does the alarm go off?
1.If you leave the car unlocked, just close the door. Does the alarm go off when you open the door?
2. If you lock the car manually, with the plunger at the top of the door panel and close the door. Does the alarm go off when you open the door?
3. If you lock the car with the power door lock button before closing the door. Does the alarm go off when you open the door?
4. Does the alarm go off when you unlock the car with the remote? Or just when you use the key?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It goes off every time I open the door if its unlocked or not I have to put key in everytime before I open the door

·
08 convertible
265 Posts
Ok, we'll walk through it step by step.
You need to first determine if the system is armed when you go to open the door. You should see the alarm light flashing on the dash once every 3 seconds. Do this and report the results.
NOTE: if it flashes twice per second, you have a door open.

·
08 convertible
265 Posts
Ok, then it's armed.
What happens if you walk up to the car and click the "unlock" button on the remote? Does the light turn off?

·
08 convertible
265 Posts
Ok, so when you get out of the car, let's say you don't lock the car at all. Does the alarm light on the dash still start flashing? When does it start flashing?

·
08 convertible
265 Posts
When you take the key out of the ignition and get out of the car and close the door, how soon after that does it start flashing? And does it flash once every 3 seconds or twice a second?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a g6 and even with the car unlocked I open door and my alarm will go off how can I fix it
OHHH I can answer this! it is a setting you have to change my 05 G6 used to do this you have to go to the settings on the monsoon radio and change that it is like a security thing where if you don't turn the car on within a certain about of time of opening the door then the alarm goes off and you can turn that setting off

·
08 convertible
265 Posts
Wow, ThickGrain is absolutely correct. For 2005 there is a setting for that. Not for 2008. Check the manual for your model year.
Here is 2005:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts