Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to try and diagnose issues with my brothers top. Searched here and found some posts but really no useful information. I have a link to the codes for the top. He had the dealer read the codes that are present. I do not have them at the moment to post here. Dealer charged him 346$ to read and look for two hours with no diagnoses. Does anyone have a schematic of the electrical and or a link to the gm service manual.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You found "really no useful information"? Seems a little harsh considering how much has been written by a few of the knowledgeable convertible owners here over the years (not me, though). I've not found any links to a free service manual online, but here is a link to a DVD that I know a number of people here have (including me):

It's well worth the money for anyone who owns and plans to keep their G6 convertible. There are relatively inexpensive compatible scanners available too that can retrieve the FTC (folding top controller) codes, but if you have them then the service manual DVD has all the explanations and troubleshooting tips. The dealer your brother worked with didn't seem to do him much good, but knowledgeable dealers for these cars are scarce anymore (as are parts). You didn't describe the issues your brother's car is having, but if it's electrical you could start by checking the integrity of the wiring along the trunk hinges and supports. There are numerous sensors and micro switches that signal the FTC that it's safe for the top to operate. There's also one in the windshield header and another in the trunk for the tire cover, among others. Good luck checking and when you have more details on what's happening or the codes you've retrieved, post them here, - Mark

·
Registered
358 Posts
I disagree with you longrider. there is plenty of good information here. However, those that are usually helpful tend to shy away from members that seemingly do not appreciate the hard work that they have put in or paid for themselves. With covid-19 lurking around every corner sensitivity must also play a role.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts