Pontiac G6 Forum banner

101 - 120 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Again, opening up your exhaust does not cause your engine to loose torque it just changes in the RPM range. That is why your car pulls harder at higher RPM's.
RPM range is altered by : Camshaft duration/lift profile, intake manifold design and compression ratio.
The reason it feels like it's pulling harder in the higher rpms, is because of the lost of torque in the lower rpms.

The pulling harder feel is from the velocity catching up to the volume that the higher rpms creates.

·
Registered
286 Posts
RPM range is altered by : Camshaft duration/lift profile, intake manifold design and compression ratio.
The reason it feels like it's pulling harder in the higher rpms, is because of the lost of torque in the lower rpms.
You are right but not completely.

You left out the fact that changing the exhaust profile changes the power band as well. Also the bore, stroke, ignition and cam timing of an engine has a major factor in the TQ and HP curve. Since we are dealing with small bore and stroke here RPM is your friend, large stroke engine it is not.

"The pulling harder feel is from the velocity catching up to the volume that the higher rpms creates".

I am not certain what this statement means. The venturi effect states that volume and pressure are opposite of velocity. When velocity increases pressure and volume decreases (when a fluid goes through a venturi or some type of clean restriction). When volume and pressure are closely respective of velocity then there is no venturi effect. This will mean zero restriction and terminal velocity. This is aerodynamics 101.

It is a fact though, that depending where a restriction occurs closer to or further away from the pressure source. The Delta Pressure will increase or decrease faster or slower respectively. This results in a change in power band in an internal combustion engine. This is why we increase or decrease our header collector lengths. This is a proven fact.

Back pressure will kill the HP and TQ at the higher RPM range that is a fact.

I believe the point that you are trying to make is that dual exhaust or less restrictive exhaust will kill you low end torque and not increase torque or HP at higher RPM ranges.

Is this your point?

·
Registered
286 Posts
"The reason it feels like it's pulling harder in the higher rpms, is because of the lost of torque in the lower rpms."

This is BS here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was just reading this on my way to air airport and had to comment on that one. "The extra torque you feel is because you have lost your low end torque" I assume he is saying your car has actually hasn't gained anything which would be virtually impossible unless you changed your tubing to garden hose?

I also have a 3.9 and I know there is a tremendous amount of back pressure as when in the top of a gear and letting off a bit to go around a corner the exhaust cracks like an engine brake on a semi.

I too am having A dual 2.5" system the same as jetmechs installed. I will post a video when I get back from Labrador in 3 - 4 weeks. Maybe ill have a new ecm, and megan racing coils on by then too! :)

PS. Never teach your girlfriend how to drive a stick on an RX-8, its really hard on the neck, and yes for those wondering no they don't have any torque, and are no match for a G6 w a 3.9

·
Registered
286 Posts
I was just reading this on my way to air airport and had to comment on that one. "The extra torque you feel is because you have lost your low end torque" I assume he is saying your car has actually hasn't gained anything which would be virtually impossible unless you changed your tubing to garden hose?

I also have a 3.9 and I know there is a tremendous amount of back pressure as when in the top of a gear and letting off a bit to go around a corner the exhaust cracks like an engine brake on a semi.

I too am having A dual 2.5" system the same as jetmechs installed. I will post a video when I get back from Labrador in 3 - 4 weeks. Maybe ill have a new ecm, and megan racing coils on by then too! :)

PS. Never teach your girlfriend how to drive a stick on an RX-8, its really hard on the neck, and yes for those wondering no they don't have any torque, and are no match for a G6 w a 3.9
Megan racing coils? Did not know about this. Been looking for new ignition components.

You got a link?

·
Registered
29 Posts
"The reason it feels like it's pulling harder in the higher rpms, is because of the lost of torque in the lower rpms."

This is BS here.
Hows many hours have you spent on an engine dyno? How about a chassis dyno?

I won't get into a debate on this forum. That was not my intention, it was simply to set the record straight. BTW, based on your statements a car making 600 whp, should have 6" diameter dual pipes, and there's a very good reason why they don't.

The G6 is not a dragster.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hows many hours have you spent on an engine dyno? How about a chassis dyno?

I won't get into a debate on this forum. That was not my intention, it was simply to set the record straight. BTW, based on your statements a car making 600 whp, should have 6" diameter dual pipes, and there's a very good reason why they don't.

The G6 is not a dragster.
Not sure who made the statement regarding 6" pipe on 600hp engine but it wasn't me. So get your facts straight sunshine.

And ya..I have thousands of hours dynoing aircraft engines what about you?

Where is your papers on mechanical physics that you wrote? I'd like to see your work.

If you don't want a debate the stop posting idiotic comments about peoples mods.

If you want to go pump GTR exhaust or whatever you are selling then do it in a constructive way. Don't try to slam someone's ideas or accomplishments. especially when you are a laymen at best regarding the issues.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well, jetmech, I like the sound. I might have to look into it for my 3.6 .... even though I keep telling myself to leave it stock it is hard to resist. I think I need to do a wams, crabs and an exhaust like yours :p

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well, jetmech, I like the sound. I might have to look into it for my 3.6 .... even though I keep telling myself to leave it stock it is hard to resist. I think I need to do a wams, crabs and an exhaust like yours :p
Thanks for the compliment.

I don't have tune yet. I would like to get one. It's a toss up between a WAMS or getting dyno tuned. I am saving to buy a house right now and pay for 3 tickets from Australia, so I am trying to save every penny you know.

I may just get a WAMS and be done with it. It's cheaper, easier and takes less time. And I have not heard any complaints about it. I also need new tires. I don't really drive the car much, only on weekends. Try to keep it out of the snow and stuff. Alex was mentioning Megan racing coils. I think I will look into that as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys, just got my G6 2006 GTP coupe. Loving the car so far, I have just installed K&N air intake system, I'm looking to get the right Exhaust system, I'm needing one that supports the dual exhaust of GTP. Do you guys have any suggestions on what I should order. I want it to be agressive, as I'm doing alot of performance upgrades soon. Online I have seen the GTR on youtube and other ones that use Magnaflow. Any suggestions of the best one to get for most robust sound and best performance?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im also trying to find the best exhaust for my 2006 gtp coupe, just got the car love it. I have had new air intake system K&N put in. I am wanting to make sure whatever I get sounds like true sports car and dont want to get the wrong exhaust system, does anyone have any reccomendations for best exhaust in terms of performance and sound out there is dual exhaust to match GTP.

Thanks guys.

·
Varsity Squad
751 Posts
Pretty much all the dual outlet systems are custom made, except for the GT-R system. So, if you dont want that one, you will need to find an exhaust shop and talk to them about what you want to do. I believe that you should use Magnaflow Mufflers (similar to mine) or Muffler (similar to jetmech). There are a lot of systems on You tube that you can listen to, jetmech and mine are on there too. And of course after your done you have to post yours.

·
WHITE G6 GT (:
159 Posts
GT-R Exhaust

Today, I put my brand new rear lower valance on for dual exhaust. I really could use some help/advice because I can't make up my mind for a exhaust. I noticed a lot of G6 owners are using the GT-R dual exhaust. However, I'm not going to spend $700.00 for this system because its slip on and there isn't much to it.

I'm very picky when it comes to my car. I DON'T want that ricer/import/fart/coffee can noise. I also don't want a loud v8 noise either. I want something nice, sporty, and when you get on it you can hear it noise. Any ideas or suggestions?

I've looked up many videos and every car sounds different. Even on the GT-R exhaust. I'm not sure if this is due to some people having intakes, resonator taken out, etc. but I can't find one that I actually will like. (I DON'T WANT TO REGRET IT)

For the GT-R exhaust does anyone know what kind of muffler that is or series? Please let me know fellas. I would greatly appreciate it. Also, send some links my way if you think it would help.

Dillon :cool:

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have the single exit and love the magnafow no rasp and no fart can sound just a nice low rumble and i can cruise around and here almost nothing.. but th ats what i was looking for.

If i was in your situation i would do something similar to Jetmech i love the sound his makes just like mine But IMO a bit better

101 - 120 of 158 Posts