Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! This is my first post on this website. I have my 2006 G6 GTP coup, and I just got a brand new engine put in it after my previous one died do to my stupidity of putting off an oil change. So I now have a brand new 3.9L V6, and I just got 4 new Michelin Pilot Super Sport summer tires put on a few months ago. My birthday is coming up soon, and I'd like to see what my options are for getting more acceleration out of my car. I was thinking a cool air intake, but the K&N typhoon 69 is apparently only for the G6 3.5L GT model :(

What other options do I have? I just think of it like i have these awesome tires--that i have come to find out are stock on a Ferrari 599 GTO--but with my 3.9L kicking out only 240 hp i feel it doesn't really do them justice to bring out their full potential. How much will it cost to get my car professionally tuned? Will i see any hp gains that are worth it? What performance parts are available for the GTP trim? Is their any limiters on the car I can take off to increase performance? I got a budget of about $200-300, and I like DIY projects to save money.

Thanks guys! sorry if i come off as a noob. Just trying to expand my car knowledge lol

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Noob or not you've come to the right place. There is a bit available for ya. Check out crabintakes.com for an intake, I think they support the 3.9, not sure though. A tune is a great idea. It'll get you more power from higher octane fuel and remove the limiter. WAMS is the way to go for a tune! Get an intake first and have it tuned for the intake and you'll be good to go. It also gets rid of a lot of the torque management for better burnouts ha

·
Legend
782 Posts
Welcome first of all. And that sucks about your engine but now you can start off fresh. As far as performance upgrades you can do a WAMS tune which is made for the g6 platform. www.whiteautoandmedia.com/ click that for a tune. Everyone will recommend that to you. Will run you anywhere from 200-400 bucks depending if you buy new computers from them or send your own in. As for intakes go with crabs made by our own lampoon. www.crabintakes.com. Those two things will give you a pretty good boost in power and increase your rev limiter and remove the top speed limiter so you don't top out at 110.

Next you need to look into lowering springs. You can get those off eBay. Either canucks, eibach, or h&r. Which are all good. Also look into a strut tower bar, upgraded motor mounts and a grounding kit all from www.racinglineperformance.com to help with traction and cornering, and overall better performance out of your electrical systems.

Also some adjustable front endlinks and stainless steel brake lines from www.bmdperformance.com/ to help with better braking and stability while lowered.

Do all that and you'll have yourself one bad gtp pushing good hp and torque. And just better all around driving experience.

And all that can be done yourself with a pretty basic set of tools. And a spring compressor for the springs.
And then just read through this site and the other site. www.g6performance.com and you'll learn everything you need/ want to know about your car.

-J Dog :beer:

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow thanks for the info guys! lot of stuff to digest here. as much as id like to be able to drop $450 on an intake and tune at once i can only do one atm with my budget. I was thinking i should get the intake first and then the tune? makes more sense to have it tuned after the intake is in right? and i can see 4 purchase options to choose from at the CRAB intake website you guys showed me.. which package should i get?

·
Legend
782 Posts
Wow thanks for the info guys! lot of stuff to digest here. as much as id like to be able to drop $450 on an intake and tune at once i can only do one atm with my budget. I was thinking i should get the intake first and then the tune? makes more sense to have it tuned after the intake is in right? and i can see 4 purchase options to choose from at the CRAB intake website you guys showed me.. which package should i get?
Yes I would say that getting the intake first would be the smart move. Then get a tune that's tuned for the intake as well. You'll still notice some gains from the intake and a little more pep. I would at least go with the 3rd option. Which I believe is the intake, filter, and heat shield. The fourth option is just an upgrade to the front pipe to make it larger in diameter I believe thus letting more air flow. But you have to purchase option 3 and 4. Option 4 is only the front pipe not the rest of the intake.

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
TC...yea hit that button
99 Posts
That intake sucks. I'm relocating the battery to the trunk and making my own intake, FTW! And has anybody tried Northstar throttle bodies on a 3900?

Will post pics, don't worry.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
That intake sucks. I'm relocating the battery to the trunk and making my own intake, FTW! And has anybody tried Northstar throttle bodies on a 3900?

Will post pics, don't worry.
All intakes suck....AIR! lololol

Keep in mind batteries vent toxic fumes. :p

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts

I've always wondered why expensive car manufacturers put the battery under the rear seat or in the trunk from the factory... But then again I'm sure they put some kind of venting system...

·
TC...yea hit that button
99 Posts

Only when the battery is about to blow up....lol....and when installing battery in the trunk, I would certainly use an *aluminum* battery box. Plastic ones are available....to hold a battery full of a liquid that will melt the plastic box surrounding it:rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts