Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey has anyone lines up these 2 to see which one is faster bone stock ? just curious... I have an 06 GTP with the 3.9 just wondering if I pull up beside a GXP "IF" i could take him or not ? ha ha ha ... Just a little Curious..

·
Registered
21 Posts
GTP vs GXP

I did some research and it seems the GXP is lighter by almost 75 pounds and has about 12 more horsepower so it would be close but I would give it to the GXP

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you both start with a full tank, and run side by side until you run out, the other guy can give you a ride to and from nearest station for some gas.

·
Designed For Action
509 Posts
Hey has anyone lines up these 2 to see which one is faster bone stock ? just curious... I have an 06 GTP with the 3.9 just wondering if I pull up beside a GXP "IF" i could take him or not ? ha ha ha ... Just a little Curious..
If you have a GTP with a 6 MT, you have the edge over the GXP. If you have the 'Manu-matic' with the GTP, is is a driver's race.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's pretty much what I keep hearing. Witch is good because I have the GTP.:D

Personally, I am a little disappointed in Pontiac..............Hey, lets take a G6 Coupe add a munch of plastic crap and replace the 6-Speed Manual with a Automatic!

I'll keep my 06' GTP 6-Speed..........................word is the Camaro with offer a high performance V-6 and Manual in the 2010 model. Sorry, Pontiac but my G6 maybe my last...........:confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't see the advantages of a high reeeeeeeving 24v V-6 with an automatic compared to the low end torque of ohv V-6 in the 60 mph and under sprint! Sorry, the GTP Manual has the upperhand vs a GXP Automatic!:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
It would be a drivers race up to around 80mph but then the GXP should pull on the 06 GTP due the 4 speed transmisson vs the 6 speed of the GXP.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Generally, the more gears you have the faster you can go not taking torque into consideration of course. just like riding a bike. And not the villiage bicycle. But its not just how fast you can go, its how quickly you can accelerate and yadda yadda joobidy joo. Jibba jabba. Bada bing bada boom. Cars are just going to get faster and more luxurious for less money (hopefully). I read about an electric car that can go 100+mph in first gear. Thats just insane. They need to make intercontinental audabons for thoes (sp).

·
Registered
63 Posts
it depends on who is driving...

actually not really, only if one of them is driving a stick, otherwise its just launch...

from a dig the 3.9 should be ahead until 3rd gear/68ish i believe. anything more than that and the pontiac vtec will start to get ahead. a lot is also dependant on which gearing in the 3.9 you have. in late 05/early 06 when the 06 gtp was being sold it had worse gearing than the versions made in later 06 and 07 in the gt sport package...

·
Registered
46 Posts
manual vs. automatic only matters if you're not tuned.

Manu-shit plays a part but not if you're tuned. *cough* tuned properly, then it's better to be in auto then even in manual. The car can ALWAYS shift faster then a human and will ALWAYS shift at the right point if the tune is there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This has been discussed and proven a few times on another popular G6 website . The 3.6 is slightly faster than the 3.9 regardless of manual or automatic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The 3.9 240 horsepower GTP vs. the 3.6vvt 252 horsepower 6 speed GTP is a close race but the edge goes to the 3.6 once you get into the higher gears ( 80mph and more ).

As far as manual vs auto is concerned todays technology means computers shift better than most humans have the ability to do.

Take look at the independent tests on these same cars and compare. Of the various auto industry magazines i.e. Road & Track, MotorTrend, Car and Driver, none of them have the 3.9 faster than the 3.6 in 0-60 or 1/4 mile times.

·
Registered
63 Posts
its very common knowledge that the g6 cant shift for crap until tuned, torque management and shift points from the factory are just pathetic

i've run a 3.6 gtp up here multiple times at the track and the result is always the same, me with a 15.7/15.8 and him with a 16.0 or higher

·
Registered
463 Posts
The shift point on my base 3.5 V6 is worse. Seems like the engine is never in its optimum rev in the city or the hwy. When cruising, the car feels gutless until it downshifts which takes like forever to do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
its very common knowledge that the g6 cant shift for crap until tuned, torque management and shift points from the factory are just pathetic

i've run a 3.6 gtp up here multiple times at the track and the result is always the same, me with a 15.7/15.8 and him with a 16.0 or higher
Must be the driver :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 3.9 240 horsepower GTP vs. the 3.6vvt 252 horsepower 6 speed GTP is a close race but the edge goes to the 3.6 once you get into the higher gears ( 80mph and more ).

As far as manual vs auto is concerned todays technology means computers shift better than most humans have the ability to do.

Take look at the independent tests on these same cars and compare. Of the various auto industry magazines i.e. Road & Track, MotorTrend, Car and Driver, none of them have the 3.9 faster than the 3.6 in 0-60 or 1/4 mile times.
I agree with the new auto trannies there can be alot faster due to a human not shifting. Look at the new Lexus IS-F technology. I personally think with me shifting my manual Im doing better...its human nature to think were better than computers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts