Pontiac G6 Forum banner

G6 GTP vs RX8...who would win?

8K views 33 replies 7 participants last post by  mekb27 
#1 ·
Just trying to sell my g6 again...thanks...cant find the info easily enough on google or anything

#2 ·
G6 would win hands down. My Gt can take my friends Rx8 till i hit 105 lol

#4 ·
Dave, that's funny you bring this up. Before I bought me 6 I almost bought an rx-8. I am now thinking about it again. I like the power my gtp has and how comfortable it is. But, so many little issues start to add up. Going to a rx-8 you will lose alot of room, and we didn't start with much. You will also be going to a lighter car a well. I live in upstate NY and I'm used to seeing 3-4 feet of snow in a weekend. With you living in Canada, you might want to think about that a well. Also going from a front wheel drive car to a rear wheel drive car and once again that is alot lighter.
Maybe the rx-8 do sent have that much torque, but you can down shift and red line at 9k and take off. As one of my friends put it, "a red line a day keeps the carbon away".
The Mazda is a sharp looking car, but like our cars, there isn't much for performance you can do unless you drop some serious coin. That's where the rx-8 wins, they can be very competitive.

So you step away from some out G6 issues and get into a car that is a very solid build, but can have a tempermental engine. That is the biggest reason I haven't made the step yet.

But, I love how they look. Have you driven one yet? If not, its a must! It may not be the fastest off the line, but I live where there is a ton of valleys and gorges so the roads are winding and fun to drive. This is where the Mazda rules. My gtp can't even come close to my buddies 8.

#11 ·
No offence taking by myself. Gotta call it like u see it.
I also own a lifted 87 gmc and hear it all the time that its a guys vehicle.. all well... Yellow cobalts are a girls car too. Hate seeing guys driving them.

#15 ·
The g6 is sooo much better. Only thing I miss is being able to do a quick u-turn. Now its a 3 point turn around :(

#17 ·
Actually. There wasn't much for the g5, no aftermarket tail lights for one. And the steering was pretty good in the 5 but for the size of the 6, I think it handles pretty well. I live on winding backroads and I take the turns just as quick as I did in the 5 with ease.

Jocelyn

#20 ·
sorry for the confusion...a friend is looking at buying my 6 or a rx8...ill be getting an suv or truck...going up north. yehaw...

#23 ·
Completely agree, but the interior isn't that bad.

Jocelyn

#24 ·
MAY be parting out, may not. Depends if someone wants to buy with all mods on for a LIL more. Might also be giving my friends brother a good deal.

If a part out is coming ill post it soon.

The jump from g5 to g6 is about the same as g6 to g8. ITS A HUGE DIFFERENCE

#27 ·
Set up appearance wise, not too different. But its the little things ( even though I do like the fact that the cup holder is behind the shifter in the g6 instead of infront of in the g5, blocking easy access to radio and climate controls. O and the added lighting. In the 5 the map lights were in the rearview mirror, I had better lighting parked under a street light. Worst part, airvents sucked. Hard to move. Blowers don't even compare to the ones in the 6. ) performace wise, not even close. I loved my 5 but ugh so many things I don't miss.

#29 ·
Nonono no reason to be sorry. I drove one for 3 yrs so I notice it all, plus daughter of a gearhead you learn to pay attn to EVERYTHING. that was just my lilttle rant of everything I don't miss lol

#30 ·
lol i understand.. i love my 6 and all but it def has flaws that i dont want to deal with anymore. i wish i would have gotten somethin more fun, like i said before.. before i bought the 6 i looked at some cobalt ss's and the g5 and there was just so much more performance wise for them.. 6 makes for a great family car and id prolly have myself in the hole if id gotten anything else...

oh well at least they look pretty and you can make them look "fast"

#33 ·
Lol, the first time I saw a R8 I had my cts-v, so I turned around and followed it. When he stopped in a parking lot I noticed it was of my friend of mine. He also ownes a RS4. Those Audis are nice. A4 suck unless modded alot. S4's are nice, but the RS4's just sexy.
I didn't buy the 350z b/c they sent it to the auction that morning. One of the people that work at the dealership traded it in. So they figured to put it out for the couple of days before they sent it. I drove it 2 days ago but I didn't tell them I was serious. I went back yesterday to make the deal but they sent it to auction. And man...I should of jumped on it. It was an 05 with 35k on it and they were only asking $14k. The car booked at 22k with the option package it had.

Moral of the story....you snooze, you lose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.