im still a bit confused here.....

·
Da.v3
597 Posts
GOOGLE

BUT

There is Base with 2.4L - 4cyl
Base v6 3.5L
GT with 3.5L lil more hp iirc and a diff transmission / ratios ( starts to offer sport mode shifting )
GTP - 3.9L and diff tranny? or just ratios.
GXP replaced the gtp after 06

Coupes are only offered in GT GTP AND GXP, apparently there are a few coupes with 2.4L as well...dunno what they are called or the year.

·
Registered
422 Posts
GT:
- Available as a 05-09.5
- 4 speed auto is the only transmission available
- Feature a 3.5 engine. 05-06 is the LX9 with 201hp/220tq. 07+ uses the VVT LZ4 with appx 220hp, not sure on tq

Upgrades over base V6 trim:
- upgraded sport suspension over the standard V6 model (stiffer springs and upgraded rear sway bar)
- stainless exhaust tip
- standard spoiler in sedan
- Standard 17" rims, either being the standard polished aluminum or chrometechs (chrome appearance)
- standard tap-shift (manual shift gate)
- performance oriented gear ratio

- the 07 vert was available with the 3.9L LZ9 as part of the sport/performance package. Still branded a GT, NOT a GTP
- available options include (but not all): leather, panoramic roof (05-06ish), monsoon 6disk radio
- some years available with OnStar

GTP:
- available as a 06-07 only
- sedan or coupe
- 06 has 3.9L LZ9 (4 speed auto (w tapshift) or 6 spd stick)
- 07 has the 3.6L LY7 (6 speed auto only)
- standard 6 disk monsoon radio
- some years available with OnStar
- standard dual exhaust

GXP:
- available as a 08-09.5
- uses 3.6L LY7 and 6 speed auto with tapshift
- sedan or convertable
- standard leather seating
- standard monsoon 6 disk radio
- some years available with OnStar (might be a standard feature, not sure)
- GXP Street Edition adds the hammerhead spoiler and hood featuring 2 non functional "ram-air" vents
- standard dual exhaust

All trims feature traction control either standard or optional. Certain years of GTP/GXP feature standard or optional stability control.

·
Registered
422 Posts
GOOGLE

BUT

There is Base with 2.4L - 4cyl
Base v6 3.5L
GT with 3.5L lil more hp iirc and a diff transmission / ratios ( starts to offer sport mode shifting )
GTP - 3.9L and diff tranny? or just ratios.
GXP replaced the gtp after 06

Coupes are only offered in GT GTP AND GXP, apparently there are a few coupes with 2.4L as well...dunno what they are called or the year.
Just a few clarifications...
GXP replaced the GTP starting as a 2008 model year
The 2.4 is available in a coupe for the 09.5 model year at which point the 6 speed auto was standard in the 2.4. Previously the 2.4 was only available with a 4 speed auto

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,351 Posts
Depends on the year and model to....

as an example can a GT have a 3.9? Yup....if its a Convertible.

The GTP had a 3.9 in 2006...and a 3.6 in 2007!

It can get confusing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool thanks for clearing that up for me...

so whats the real diff from going from a GT to a GXP?

·
Registered
422 Posts
oh man... this is confusing.....

what is a better engine the 3.6 or the 3.9?
3.6 hands down!
More HP/TQ, better mileage, and if you have tones of money to burn cams, headers, etc...
You also get the 6spd auto vs the 4 spd auto or 6 spd stick

And the GXP looks soo much better!

·
Registered
53 Posts
6 speed manual i think he means, like the 06 gtps like mine, and lets not forget some 07 gt's were left over gtps from 06 and had 6 speed manuals and 3.9ls

·
Fried like a Cheese Stick
1,035 Posts
Sorry I'm late to the party but yeah Pontiac loves to switch up model designations for no real good reason. I'm not super well versed on the G6 ones but I've owned various Grand Prix's over the years and as a quick for-instance my 1989 SE was the top of the line model (base, LE, SE) but when I bought my 1997 GTP the SE was the "low end" (SE, GT, GTP). Also from 97-05 the GTP was the one with the supercharged engine; suddenly in 06 the GT was the one with the supercharged engine, so an 05 GT and 06 GT were completely different. Head spinning I tell ya :banghead:

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,351 Posts
On that note in 2005 the GT was the TOP OF THE LINE....
In 2006-7 it was the GTP. Replaced in 2008-10 by the GXP.

·
Fried like a Cheese Stick
1,035 Posts
Actually I may be incorrect regarding the GT in 2010. There was the 3.5 available but in researching it a bit they may have still been called "base model". Further proving my point about Pontiac mixing things up for no good reason (other than the brand being killed in 2010 anyway so who cares :p ).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts