Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched everywhere for this info, on this site, all over the internet, etc and couldn't find it. So I did the job and made this wiring diagram to help anyone else doing this. Hopefully it's helpful to someone. Use this if you're adding an aftermarket head unit and speakers to your 2006 Pontiac G6 Coupe with Monsoon audio system. (you know you have Monsoon by pulling the passenger side carpet back in the trunk and find a Black Box w/ red letters on it "Monsoon")

Following the attached wiring diagram allows you to remove the factory amp from your system. I did this because the amp was causing strange behavior especially in the rear speakers after I installed my head unit and speakers and I plan on adding an amp in the future anyway.

Hit me up if you have any questions about the diagram, plenty of other posts/videos about getting to the speakers and head units out there so not posting that info.

I'm also attaching factory head unit & amp wiring diagrams since it took me way to long to find them and a picture of the finished bypass wiring splice I did in the trunk before cleaning it up and tucking it away.

Other info:
- Monsoon amp part number I removed: 15833071 (on a white sticker on your Monsoon amp)
- Look very closely at the back of the plugs you remove from the amp, the corners show the pin #s. For example, on the 8 pin black connector, you'll see a '1' in the top left corner, an '4' in top right, '5' bottom left, and '8' bottom right. Use this (and the wire color) to figure out which wire is in which pin to help you use the diagram. (I attached a pic of this)

Note:
The wires from the head unit to the amp are a smaller gauge than standard speaker wire, this is because the factory head unit isn't pushing the speakers with these wires, only sending the audio signal to the amp. By bypassing the amp, you're now using these wires to drive the speakers which limits the power your head unit can send to the speakers. Highly recommend adding (now or later) an aftermarket amp at which time you'd run RCA cables which eliminates the need to use the super skinny factory wiring.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Should an 05 sedan with monsoon be the same as this? His wires coming from the radio dont match the colors on my factory harness and every diagram I pull up for the 05 does not match my harness colors.

Can anyone go into further detail about what he did here? I have 2 clips on my amp, did he cut both of the clips off and just join the necessary wires?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry I dont think I can edit my last post. I think I got this all sorted out. I pulled the amp and all the pairs of wires were twisted together.
I have just 1 question if anyone can please help.

2-At the head unit RF- hes showing Light green with black. At my head unit it I have the light green without the black stripe but at the amp there is a wire that is light green with the stripe. Can anyone explain this?
Do some of these wires go to the speakers then the amp, maybe it started as light green and it was connected to the green with black?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I finally got this to work. I was able to run a continuity test today. The only difference I found on my 2005 g6 sedan was the RF- coming from the radio was Light Green but did not have a black stripe, however somehow by the time it gets to the amp it does indeed have a black stripe on it! I am not sure of the reason but definitely odd.
Oh and I ran the red accessory wire that comes with your aftermarket radio but is not on the factory harness to the wiper fuse. And luckily the factory wires were wrapped in pairs so it was easy to figure out which wire was which through process of elimination and OPs pictures so I did not have to do any testing other than the continuity test on that one wire.
Anyway thanks to the OP for posting this .

·
Registered
56 Posts
Out of curiosity (I haven't checked mine yet) do there happen to be any markings on the wiring harness connectors that may identify a make & model of them? I'm going to be pulling out my Monsoon amp, but I'd rather not chop up the factory harness (i.e. I'd rather build a bypass that plugs into the factory harness).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I searched everywhere for this info, on this site, all over the internet, etc and couldn't find it. So I did the job and made this wiring diagram to help anyone else doing this. Hopefully it's helpful to someone. Use this if you're adding an aftermarket head unit and speakers to your 2006 Pontiac G6 Coupe with Monsoon audio system. (you know you have Monsoon by pulling the passenger side carpet back in the trunk and find a Black Box w/ red letters on it "Monsoon")

Following the attached wiring diagram allows you to remove the factory amp from your system. I did this because the amp was causing strange behavior especially in the rear speakers after I installed my head unit and speakers and I plan on adding an amp in the future anyway.

Hit me up if you have any questions about the diagram, plenty of other posts/videos about getting to the speakers and head units out there so not posting that info.

I'm also attaching factory head unit & amp wiring diagrams since it took me way to long to find them and a picture of the finished bypass wiring splice I did in the trunk before cleaning it up and tucking it away.

Other info:
  • Monsoon amp part number I removed: 15833071 (on a white sticker on your Monsoon amp)
  • Look very closely at the back of the plugs you remove from the amp, the corners show the pin #s. For example, on the 8 pin black connector, you'll see a '1' in the top left corner, an '4' in top right, '5' bottom left, and '8' bottom right. Use this (and the wire color) to figure out which wire is in which pin to help you use the diagram. (I attached a pic of this)
Note:
The wires from the head unit to the amp are a smaller gauge than standard speaker wire, this is because the factory head unit isn't pushing the speakers with these wires, only sending the audio signal to the amp. By bypassing the amp, you're now using these wires to drive the speakers which limits the power your head unit can send to the speakers. Highly recommend adding (now or later) an aftermarket amp at which time you'd run RCA cables which eliminates the need to use the super skinny factory wiring.

Other info:
  • Monsoon amp part number I removed: 15833071 (on a white sticker on your Monsoon amp)
  • Look very closely at the back of the plugs you remove from the amp, the corners show the pin #s. For example, on the 8 pin black connector, you'll see a '1' in the top left corner, an '4' in top right, '5' bottom left, and '8' bottom right. Use this (and the wire color) to figure out which wire is in which pin to help you use the diagram. (I attached a pic of this)
Note:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi. I’m new to this thing. Do you have any video how to do it. I’m getting confused at wiring connection. I’m trying to bypass the amp. Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Other info:
Note:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I'm trying to hook up an aftermarket touchscreen media player in my G6 everything is hooked up but the small plug from the back of the factory unit ,but I have no sound at all is this because of the amp in the trunk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does anyone know if it's possible to bridge the woofer & tweeter outputs for the rear channels into a single output? Even if it requires some circuitry I'm fine with that. I really want to get some sound coming out of the back of my G6.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts