Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my on oand off decision in new car shopping (yes, still...), I am going to look at the G6 GTP again because I saw a black one on the road and was very impressed (it was a coupe).

However, I went and looked at a dealerships inventory.

The orange peel in the paint is present on every single G6 in their inventory. It never bothered me until my friend pointed it out to me, and now I can't stop noticing how bad it is.

Does anyone else see this, and can someone please explain to me why a 25-28k dollar car has it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Subtle_Cynicism said:
In my on oand off decision in new car shopping (yes, still...), I am going to look at the G6 GTP again because I saw a black one on the road and was very impressed (it was a coupe).

However, I went and looked at a dealerships inventory.

The orange peel in the paint is present on every single G6 in their inventory. It never bothered me until my friend pointed it out to me, and now I can't stop noticing how bad it is.

Does anyone else see this, and can someone please explain to me why a 25-28k dollar car has it?
You could always buy the car and remove the orange peel yourself.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yes, the paint quality (and body integrity) is pretty bad on the G6, and orange peel seem to be getting more common on new cars these days. I have noticed that even some Porsches and BMWs have orange peel paint.

·
Designed For Action
509 Posts
mrslcom said:
Yes, the paint quality (and body integrity) is pretty bad on the G6, and orange peel seem to be getting more common on new cars these days. I have noticed that even some Porsches and BMWs have orange peel paint.
Yes, the 'orange peel' is present, but body integrity is fine.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Subtle_Cynicism said:
A 25K car is below the average new car price these days, if you want completely flawless paint you are goint to have to pay for it. The paint on the G6 is no worse than other cars in its class. You also may notice that the paint on plastic parts has more orange peel than the steel parts. Suppliers are responsible for painting the plastic parts, so it isn't even GM's fault.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Subtle_Cynicism said:
I wasn't aware you could remove orange peel.

But then again, why should you have to on something you just spent that much money on?
Yup, just wet sand it with like 1000 grit, then buff it. My friend did his truck like that. But it takes some time.

·
Registered
107 Posts
What is this orange peel you speak of? I haven't noticed anything about the paint except that it seems to collect/show dirt like a magnet, although that's probably more the color (electric blue) than anything.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did not know of the term orange peel until my friend pointed it out to me just recently.

Basically, if you look at a coat of paint, its supposed to be a lake-like clear reflection of the surroundings.

If you look up close on the G6's paint, you'll notice it's almost jaggy and distorts the surroundings slightly.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Subtle_Cynicism said:
I did not know of the term orange peel until my friend pointed it out to me just recently.

Basically, if you look at a coat of paint, its supposed to be a lake-like clear reflection of the surroundings.

If you look up close on the G6's paint, you'll notice it's almost jaggy and distorts the surroundings slightly.
Oh.

I'll take a look at it next time, but mine probably has that going on. Not that I care at all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
SCGA1 said:
Body integrity is bad on my g6. My portion between the 1/4 panel and the roof has a horrible filler job. Just looking at it, you can see it is wavy. Run your hand across it and its definately there. Passenger side is the same, just not as bad.

·
Registered
21 Posts
SCGA1 said:
Body integrity is bad on my g6. My portion between the 1/4 panel and the roof has a horrible filler job. Just looking at it, you can see it is wavy. Run your hand across it and its definately there. Passenger side is the same, just not as bad.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.