Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2007 G6 GT convertible 3.9L, spewed power steering fluid onto the exhaust last Friday night. Luckily, she wasn't going fast (as she thought she had lost all steering) and the exhaust had not had time to reach operating temperature. Further investigation revealed that the power steering return hose was up against the exhaust pipe (the pressure hose had about 1" clearance)and had burned through. The return hose contains about 7 feet of metal tubing and one foot of rubber. Guess where the engineers designed the rubber section to be? Yep, apparently right against the exhaust pipe ( although I have a hard time believing anybody with and sense at all would do this). The only thing that has saved the hose for the past 5 years is a "foil" covered cloth(apparently flameproof?) sleeve. GM apparently had a TSB # 49764 out for cars, on the dealers lots, that may or may not have covered 3.9 L engines. Have any of you noticed a similar routing of your hoses? Maybe it's time for you (especially the 3.9 guys and maybe the 3.5 guys) to take a look in the interest of your and your passengers' safety. The two ps hoses are up against the firewall side down-pipe just below the pre-cat.
I belong to the Fiero Forum and an F100 forum, although I'm a "newb, " I 'd really appreciate any help you may have on this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We went to pick up the car today and expected some version of "this wasn't our fault, that will be $320.00 please." But, true to their word, the local dealer with the zone rep's backing fixed the hose at no cost to us. We currently have four GM products in our "household" and three are daily drivers. I appreciate GM stepping up to the plate and fixing an issue that should not have gotten out of the factory and also (apparently) past the dealer. It's nice to know they made an effort to keep us as future customers. And, yest the new repair has an additional layer of "thermal barrier" and the hoses are now tie-wrapped away from the catalytic converter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
check your 2007 g6 3.9l

this happen to my G6 too. check your g6 everyone before you crash and catch on fire

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was starting to think we were the only ones. Did you buy your car in October of 2006 or the fall of 2006?

·
Registered
2 Posts
where the rest of the post?

where the rest of the post? where the rest of the post showing GM was of no help as well as the dealer ? this was a 3 page post ???

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help I have the same problem on my 2007 g6 hardtop convertible . My high pressure hose and the return are right next to my catalytic coverter and have burnt holes in them. Only the so called fireproof tape has not helped. Also the plastic tubing around the tape you would think GM would thing of safety before they design. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone have a phone number to call for General Motors. My power steering line broke just above the exhaust system where they installed some silver fire-proofing and I heard other people have had this problem also.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyone else dealt with this? Is there a specific TSB number I can't find anything on the one mentioned. Sprung a PS leak and it seems to be return hose laying against exhaust. Any info will help, especially if it's taken care of for no cost!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts