Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past couple weeks now, my car battery keeps draining, and fully dying. The other day after I got it jumped, and was driving to work, all of a sudden, EVERY warning light came on, then the lights on the dash, radio, everything went off, including the headlights (I work overnights, and was on a country road, was a very scary feeling)... Got it running, and worked fine for a couple days, and then died again.

Took the battery that I bought less than a year ago, to where I bought it this morning, and they said that something in my car caused the battery to go bad, and they gave me a new one. Started right up, but now I am getting the "service traction control" alert that randomly pops on in my car, and the oil light flashing occasionally as I'm driving. The battery symbol is also coming up on the dash as well. It will come on, stay there for a minute or two, then disappear again, and keeps on doing that.

I also get the "service air bag" alert occasionally. Is this something that has happened to other g6 owners? I have a 2007 by the way.. Does it sound like a problem with the alternator?

Side note: The brand new battery is already showing to be at 11.93, so something in this car is causing it to drain, even when not in use.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Start the car hook up the meter and see what your voltage is at with it running, if you think something is draining the battery hook a meter up have someone watch it put the car on the on position and pull fuses when volts go up you may have found your problem also go to auto store have it checked for codes and alternator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm new to the forum but joined for a problem similar to this took me 2 years to find that it was the onstar draining my battery. When you do the pulling fuses test you don't get any drop on a meter

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I pulled the fuse the current draw never dropped on the meter. I found a test that you don't pull fuses just used meter on the pins on top of fuse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did the parasitic draw test like most of the videos show and couldn't get the drain to stop. The way the video was showing I found that current was running through the onstar fuse. Pulled the fuse and have not had a problem since. I was having a dead battery in less than 6 hours and kept a maintainer on it when I had the car at home.

·
08 convertible
243 Posts
A lot of info on measuring parasitic draw is just plain wrong. And some of it assumes some basic understanding of electrical circuits so it's misinterpreted by many.

If you pull a fuse and the total battery drain doesn't drop, it means that circuit doesn't have any parasitic draw. This of course assumes you hooked up an ammeter correctly in series with the battery and waited long enough for all the keep alive circuits in the car to shut down. And turned nothing on or off during that time. Including the ammeter. And the ammeter is set on a scale low enough to measure a few milliamps or tens of milliamps.

About measuring across the pins on a fuse. A 20A fuse has a cold resistance of about 3 milliohms. If you have a parasitic drain of 10mA, you will need to measure 30 microvolts. Do you have a voltmeter capable of that?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts