·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
looking at getting a 06 GTP

3500 v6 NO VVT=200hp 05
3500 v6 with VVT=224hp 06
3900 v6 NO VVT=240hp 06-07
3600 v6 with VVT=252hp correct? and I couldn't find tq ratings can some one fill me in? 08-09

2. whats the engines main week links/whats the first thing thats guna go if you turbo or run nos? I guess I'm wondering how much power can you get safely before you need to go internal and replace ringlands/pistons/conecting rods/bearings ect...

3. is getting a limited slip diff in the front nessisary, or does traction control take care of it? and can the traction control be turned on and off on a 06 GTP?

4. whats a low deep throuty exhaust for an 06 GTP? like cat-back

5. does the 3.9l respond to mods good or does it lack because it doesnt have VVT?

I'd kinda like to get the 240hp up to the 252 of the newer ones but I want the 6 speed manual. Id like to be able to atleast keep up with like the cobal SS's and stuf

·
Registered
292 Posts
kinda depends on the year doesn't it? You talking 2009???

·
Registered
916 Posts
No one has add a turbo yet. Transmission is def. a weak link.

People who have added intakes cat back exhaust and ecm/tcm tunes with no issues.

Get the most powerful engine of the bat cause your upgrades are limited to ^^^

Good intake Crab Intake Cold Air Box www.crabintakes.com
Good Exhaust Gt-R custom cat back ill need to find a link brain fart on that one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
really nobody has tuboed or built one of these engines?

well whats better for modding 3.9L GTP or 3.6L GXP?

what would be the options for a ecu tune? is there piggy-backs or plug and play stand-alone systems or just different chips and preprogramed tunes?

by tcu do u mean traction control? can you tune that? or tune it out?

·
Young Punk
76 Posts
Like we said... main issue is the transmission. Their rather... archaic. One guy supposedly had a turbo set up using a turbo relocation kit, but I believe he took it off because he never got around to reprogramming the ecu.
You can have the ECU retuned, widen the powerband a little, change the shift timings, remove the governor, etc.
IF I had the money, I'd probably do my homework, find a 5 speed manual transmission (06 GT has a 4 speed manu-matic tranny) with a short throw that would match up to the 3500, have it rebuilt with a closer gear ratio, do a LSD, find a way to cause the traction control to go COMPLETELY off, Do a dual turbo set-up (one turbo for each bank of cylinders, as the did on a cobra once upon a time), have the block bored out (if possible, I'm not sure if you can with the 3500), new pistons, crankshaft, etc.
That being said, for alot of us, we don't have that kind of money. Most of us use our G6s as daily drivers, and couldn't really provide for that kinda down time to being with, plus, off the top of my head, I'm thinking a job like that would be around.. ohh.... $30,000 Canadian?
I'm not saying modifying and tuning the '6 is a bad idea, but for most of us, it's not really an option to go much further than the $1000 jobs like a cat-back, rims, etc.:beer:

·
Registered
77 Posts
05 and 06 GT's have the 3.5 LX9 200hp. The 07's have the 3.5 LZ4 224hp with vvt. the 08 and up also have the LZ4 but they added a third catalytic converter and the hp dropped to 219hp. 06 GTP's have the 3.9 LZ9 240hp with vvt. The GTP in 07 had the 3.6 overhead cam motor with vvt and 252hp. In 08 they dropped the GTP and came out with the GXP but it had the same drive train as the 07 GTP's. The LZ4 and the LZ9 are the same engine but the LZ4 is destroked and it uses a different intake.

Mark.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.