Pontiac G6 Forum banner

How is the new G6 in the snow?

• It's great!!!

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It's OK... Could use improvement though.

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • It sucks!

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I need a 4x4!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Snow? What's that?

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A post on the forums prompted me to post this poll. For those in the snow belt: How do you find your G6 in the snow and on the ice? If discussing, please indicate what you're using for tires.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Also, if posting, mention the model you are driving since the Traction Control System is different between the "V6" and "GT" models.

"V6" uses enhanced traction control system which uses engine torque reduction/upshifting only. Similar to system used on Grand Am.

"GT" system can also activate brakes which more quickly limits wheel spin

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
e2helper said:
Also, if posting, mention the model you are driving since the Traction Control System is different between the "V6" and "GT" models.

"V6" uses enhanced traction control system which uses engine torque reduction/upshifting only. Similar to system used on Grand Am.

"GT" system can also activate brakes which more quickly limits wheel spin
Thanks for the tidbit! I didn't know that. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's okay we just had a major (not really) snow dump by victoria standard. All I have is the stock allseason that come with the GT. The Tires that came with the 01 GA se1 were better in the snow. The one thing that was better is the car feel heavier than the GA so was able to track in the snow and slush easier. By the way I'm from the maritimes that why I mention "victoria standards"

·
Registered
15 Posts
I voted for the second one, "It's ok..."

I have the GT version with the stock tires it came with. I went from a '97 Tahoe with 4x4 to this. And right away we had ice storm for the first two weeks I had it. Then we got 10+ inches of snow. It did wonderful in the ice but ok in the snow. I say ok because it was dragging bottom on the snow in a few places and going up a hill from a stop took a while. But the traction control did help.

Now, Pontiac...put AWD on the G6 and you will have an even better car for us Northerners in the snow belt ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Traction control results...

I'd like to bring this topic back to the top again as I am readying to rent a G6 in the snowy pacific northwest. Presumably it will be a 2006 model, other than that, I don't exactly know what to inquire of y'all. Could one or more of you list how to go about using the "traction control" in packed show & ice conditions as well as one or the other? Is the "traction control" standard in the '06 models or an option. Has anyone ventured putting cable chains on their '06s? Just some information to aid someone who is looking for answers before he encounters the winter weather conditions. Thanx in advance. I will post with how I did upon return. :D

·
Registered
423 Posts
i have the standard Contenentals on my '05 GT. after reading the 'stats' on the Contenental Tires i was rather apprehensive about driving in snow. i bought mine in August of '05 and the first real heavy rain we had i thought the traction was terrible so i really wasn't looking forward to snow and ice.

but suprisingly, it did very well as far as i'm concerned. i DID however turn off the Traction Control as well as i got tired of hearing that 'racket' when the T.C. is engaging. it seemed to me to work better without it anyway. :D

i'm still planning on changing over to the Yokohama Avid's when my current tires are worn out. i think i'll get better 'wet' pavement traction.

·
Registered
423 Posts
sunrunner_pei said:
Thanks for the tidbit! I didn't know that. :)
i have another idea....when making up a 'poll', how about leaving it OPEN for 30 days to give everyone a chance to vote? even though i check the site nearly every day, today is the first i have seen this.

if it WERE open today, i vote for "its great"

·
Registered
72 Posts
Have the 18" Goodyears on my '06 GTP coupe A4 . Traction in the snow here in Cleveland has been great, and the traction control system has worked well, although I usually find I can react and make changes faster than the system does. Haven't got it really out of control to test the system, but it's like the airbags...really don't want to test them.

·
Registered
470 Posts
After a heavier snow fall last winter, the OEM Conti's barely got the job done. The TC was ever so annoying that I ended up turning it off as TC can hamper forward mobility if the weather is bad enough. I drive throughout Central to Northern Ontario frequently throughout the year and when the temps are very cold (-40) the snow is a lot harder and the G6 can get through light snow fine on two lane roads. When the temps rise (-10) and the weather is bad, I park the G6 and drive the Durango (4x4) with BFG tires.

A lot of people don't have the patience to drive on snow covered roads, and once traffic starts to build up, they get all the more impatient. Or, it's the opposite, they're TOO cautious and do 20km/h on a clear road and start to brake a mile before their turn. This is when I prefer having my V8 over the V6. AWD traction definitely helps.

Some northern roads that get plowed, don't get plowed by trucks, but by motor graders, whose tires leave marks similar to driving over rumble strips for miles on end. The G6 feels as if it's going to fall apart after a couple miles of this, so again, when I know they'll be out and what roads will be open that I'll have to take, it's the Durango at the top of the list. The longer travel suspension allowed me to travel a touch faster over the grader tread marks on the snow covered roads.

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
After a heavier snow fall last winter, the OEM Conti's barely got the job done. The TC was ever so annoying that I ended up turning it off as TC can hamper forward mobility if the weather is bad enough. I drive throughout Central to Northern Ontario frequently throughout the year and when the temps are very cold (-40) the snow is a lot harder and the G6 can get through light snow fine on two lane roads. When the temps rise (-10) and the weather is bad, I park the G6 and drive the Durango (4x4) with BFG tires.

A lot of people don't have the patience to drive on snow covered roads, and once traffic starts to build up, they get all the more impatient. Or, it's the opposite, they're TOO cautious and do 20km/h on a clear road and start to brake a mile before their turn. This is when I prefer having my V8 over the V6. AWD traction definitely helps.

Some northern roads that get plowed, don't get plowed by trucks, but by motor graders, whose tires leave marks similar to driving over rumble strips for miles on end. The G6 feels as if it's going to fall apart after a couple miles of this, so again, when I know they'll be out and what roads will be open that I'll have to take, it's the Durango at the top of the list. The longer travel suspension allowed me to travel a touch faster over the grader tread marks on the snow covered roads.
I couldn't hang, if my road gets an ice cube on it I'm calling in sick.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Since we are digging up old threads...

I had Falken 912s this past winter. They definitely aren't the best winter tire, especially with the frequent trips up to PA. I'm hoping to replace them before winter time and going with Goodyears or maybe Dunlop Sport.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
It's decent as long as there is less than 4 inches on the ground. Any more than that and I just park it for the day.
lol 4 inches...in Canada 4 inches is nothing :D

·
Registered
638 Posts
i have some Blizzak WS 60's on 17" chrometechs and have no problems going thru prob 18" or more of the light powdery snow and no problems going thu about 12" of heavy wet snow. i was busting thru drifts of light powery snow that were as high as the hood on I 90 in south dakota on my way back from class in january no problems.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts