Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sold my 99 Pontiac Grand Am Se, and am looking for a G6 Sedan.

I have never test drove one, how does the handling differ from the Grand Am? Is a 4door Sedan "Roomier" than a 4 door Grand am?

I was thining picking up an SUV, but i would hate to shell out all that money on Gas this summer coming up, the gas mileage on the G6 is very enticing...

please advise.

Also can you give me the goods bads and uglies of the g6, i rather know ahead of time...

· Registered
9 Posts
I just recently bought my g6 and it's a great buy in my book.
You get a little bit of everything it's got luxury mixed with sporty...
which is a great combination.

So far I honestly couldn't give you any negatives about the car because
I haven't had it very long, but I hope that their won't be any...
*knocks on wood*

· Registered
504 Posts
I also owned a N-body before and I can tell you the G6 is light years ahead of the Grand Am. The ride is not as smooth and comfy that would be the only drawback. The G6 is much roomier and it handles much better than the GA. There are some minor issues with the G6 but it's nothing compared to the trouble-prone GA. Go take a test drive for yourself first at the very least, all the talk is meaningless unless you have actually driven it and experience how it feels.

· Registered
25 Posts
The G6 is a nice car & drives well. I agree that the G6 is light years ahead of the Grand Am. However, GM has not solved the problem of producing cars with quality parts.

The G6 is prone to a number of issues with steering and front end components. Just read the various forms and you will see what I mean.
Basically, if you can afford the upper style G6 that has the hydraulic steering system, you will be better off. The lower end versions with the electric steering systems are the vehicles recorded having the most issues with steering.
Brakes are also an issue. The brake discs and pads do not last. You may want to fit aftermarket components once the factory parts are worn out, it doesn’t take long (same problem with the Malibu & Saturn Aura ).

Catalytic convertors are also a problem. GM decided to fit the catalytic convertor closer to the exhaust manifold in attempt to reduce exhaust emissions. This has caused a number of failures with the catalytic convertors, the cores melt and plug the exhaust outlet – which eventually prevents the engine from running altogether (same problem with the Malibu & Saturn Aura ).
You may want to reconsider…!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.