Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 09 doesn't tell me what gear it is in. Is there supposed to be a indicator near the shifter or something? I'm wondering if a light is burned out. Seems kind of dumb if there isn't an indicator of some sort. When I put it into manual it does show gear number on dash, but not park or reverse.

Also, did they put a manual mode on the 4spd trans? I thought I had a 4 spd all along but now am thinking I might have a 6 lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All the letter light up ( p, r, n, d, m) but when you change gears they don't get circled or anything. Like in Malibu, a led light fill light up next to whatever gear you are in.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
All the letter light up ( p, r, n, d, m) but when you change gears they don't get circled or anything. Like in Malibu, a led light fill light up next to whatever gear you are in.
Got it. That's one of the areas they cheaped-out on. It annoys me also.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Yea I don't like how it doesn't tell you, But oh well. I know that once I release it from park and let go of the button, it'll stop in Drive every time. and I can always go from N to D without pressing it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can live with it, but just wanted to make sure i didnt have a light burned out or something.

·
Registered
911 Posts
No problem. I bet there is a way to put in an indicator light
actually it doesn't seem that hard to mold a tiny piece of plastic to the shifter at the bottom of the shifter "post" so it lines up through the holes that show what gear you're in as you slide it back or forward...if you've taken that shift plate out it's easier to see what i mean.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I was thinking of there being a way to connect an LED to the shifter inside the console. So it'll make what ever gear you're in look slightly different, different enough to notice what you're in.

Like install the LED beneath the stock LEDs there...

·
Registered
474 Posts
Only issue would be those who have the tap shift option. If they go into tap shift, the plate on the bottom (which if I'm getting what you're thinking) moves over. which would make the piece of plastic move out of alignment and it would make it look very goofy in my opinion.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Only issue would be those who have the tap shift option. If they go into tap shift, the plate on the bottom (which if I'm getting what you're thinking) moves over. which would make the piece of plastic move out of alignment and it would make it look very goofy in my opinion.
my 6 unfortunately isn't equipped with tap shift so that didn't even occur to me :eek: good call

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Yea good point, But what If there was a way to simply turn that light off whenever you go into manual mode? I think it would all be totally possible. But really I haven't gone into my center console yet so I don't know how it all looks...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just figured out I have the 6 speed trans. No wonder it shifts so funky just like my Malibu lol

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
One thing I never liked about the 6 speed is how often it shifts, it seems like it's dumb and often slow. But it does get better mileage and have a better range of gears to put the power down.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yea good point, But what If there was a way to simply turn that light off whenever you go into manual mode? I think it would all be totally possible. But really I haven't gone into my center console yet so I don't know how it all looks...

Could you put led's underneath attached to the faceplate and not the "sliding" plate. Then splice them into an ignition wire, so whenever the car is running they would light up. The only issue with this is, is there enough room underneath...

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Now there's an idea. You can probably most likely get the signal for each gear from a harness on the TCM.

But to elaborate on your idea, Maybe it would be possible to replace the existing LEDs with dual color LEDs. So it'll be red when Illuminated, but the selected gear can be green or white or something. All you would need to do is run one more wire to each replaced LED from the harness with the gear selection.

I don't really care to have a light to show what is selected. But I'm beginning to grow interested enough to try and figure it out and then make a write up on it. :D

·
Registered
392 Posts
Now there's an idea. You can probably most likely get the signal for each gear from a harness on the TCM.

But to elaborate on your idea, Maybe it would be possible to replace the existing LEDs with dual color LEDs. So it'll be red when Illuminated, but the selected gear can be green or white or something. All you would need to do is run one more wire to each replaced LED from the harness with the gear selection.

I don't really care to have a light to show what is selected. But I'm beginning to grow interested enough to try and figure it out and then make a write up on it. :D
Now that would be cool.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My malibu has a led next to each gear that lights up when you are next to each gear. Maybe someone could find the wiring diagram of the Malibu and figure out where they hook up to. They are essentially the same car.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
One of these days I'll get into my center console and see how the shifter and lights are all set up on the inside. Once I figure that out it will be a bunch easier to figure this out. Can be a fun project!

If I figure it out anyone interested in doing it? I figure I'll find the best way to do it, and can get a parts list together or something

1 - 20 of 22 Posts