Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2008 Pontiac G6 V6 SE with 108k, was wondering wheather or not I should use the oil percentage monitor, or change the oil every 5k, I'm currently using gm's new full synthetic. Also, what spark plugs does the 3.5l use, and when should I change them? Any opinions on e3 plugs?

·
Registered
480 Posts
The plugs are Iridium and are supposed to be changed every 100k miles. If you change them make sure you have access to a set of plug wires as well as they can be difficult to get off without damaging them. The spark plug OE Part number is 12591131. I do moistly follow the oil monitor. With synthetic oil and a good filter I am happy to run the oil longer. Oil an oil changes can almost be a religious conviction so opinions will vary. In the end you should do what you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Oil an oil changes can almost be a religious conviction so opinions will vary. In the end you should do what you are comfortable with.
Yep. I am a follower of, 'conventional oil, 3000 miles.. it's easy to do, cheap, and helps me sleep at night.
Plugs. If those are original, you will be horrified when you pull them, and impressed with the car after replacement.
I swear by OE, the car was but to take them, and if I have an ignition issue, I don't have to wonder if the different plugs are a cause.
Wires. Yep get a new set, you are likely going to have them stuck on, and break. Like the plugs, I like OE, they fit, etc.
No need to try to reinvent the wheel. Installing something else with a flashy marketing team is not going to give you an extra 15hp. Go with reliable, tried and true.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The plugs are Iridium and are supposed to be changed every 100k miles. If you change them make sure you have access to a set of plug wires as well as they can be difficult to get off without damaging them. The spark plug OE Part number is 12591131. I do moistly follow the oil monitor. With synthetic oil and a good filter I am happy to run the oil longer. Oil an oil changes can almost be a religious conviction so opinions will vary. In the end you should do what you are comfortable with.
Thanks Boomer, appreciate your input!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep. I am a follower of, 'conventional oil, 3000 miles.. it's easy to do, cheap, and helps me sleep at night.
Plugs. If those are original, you will be horrified when you pull them, and impressed with the car after replacement.
I swear by OE, the car was but to take them, and if I have an ignition issue, I don't have to wonder if the different plugs are a cause.
Wires. Yep get a new set, you are likely going to have them stuck on, and break. Like the plugs, I like OE, they fit, etc.
No need to try to reinvent the wheel. Installing something else with a flashy marketing team is not going to give you an extra 15hp. Go with reliable, tried and true.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Thanks for your input daveZ26! 🚘

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ditto what Dave said.....every 3,000 miles....Of course, I'm an old guy, and was raised that way. Some of these dealers/motor oil people say upwards of 7,000-10,000. It'll never happen here. Oh, and get rid of the filter too...Just like getting rid of the wires when you change the plugs.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
If using full synthetic, changing every 3000 miles is a waste IMO. It'll be perfectly fine every 5000 miles. You can also do other stuff like tire rotation at the same time.

For plugs use NGK ITR4A15 Laser Iridium's

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If using full synthetic, changing every 3000 miles is a waste IMO. It'll be perfectly fine every 5000 miles. You can also do other stuff like tire rotation at the same time.

For plugs use NGK ITR4A15 Laser Iridium's
Thanks a lot. That's pretty much what I've done with my other cars that I've owned. Besides, it's easier to remember to rotate the tires!🚘

1 - 8 of 8 Posts