Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again all,
Wife's 08 GT 3.5 with 165K miles, every now and then will feel like the lockup converter will "chuggle" in and out under mid range steady speed and light load to the motor. I've said that I'm more of a MOPAR guy before, and found on them that the TPS will cause this on them, but have not had a MOPAR with "throttle by wire" like this GM has. Car runs perfectly and no CEL or other data glitches that my basic scanner can pick out.
Any feedback appreciated.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BUMP....
No responses, so thought I'd add a bit more info.
My scanner does have"data stream" capability although rather basic. Will read TPS %, but not sure it's reading TB or foot pedal.My 04 Chy. minivan has cable throttle and did the same thing with it's TPS of TCC "chuggle", which with a digital VOM would NOT pick up test sweep. At 196K miles,I replaced it anyway and the TCC "chuggle" was gone.
I looked up on rockauto for TPS for the G6, and found a throttle body mounted unit at almost the same price as a complete throttle body! Thoughts are still appreciated about this subject. This MOPAR guy needs a little help from the GM side of the "aisle".... :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BUMP,. BUMP
Did I mention that the condition when it happens is quite noticeable and rather harsh on the feel. Only way to get out of it is to apply more pedal and "power out" of it or put it in manual and drop a gear. which my wife will NOT do.
Any thoughts...CONDOLENCES ....ridicule ??????

·
Registered
380 Posts
I believe there is a separate transmission control module on the majority of the G6's that you may need a more advanced scan tool to recover codes from. Someone with a Tech II or similar may be able to get more info. It may even be worth paying a dealership or local mechanic to try and diagnose even if you plan to fix it yourself. Sorry that we cannot be of more help, it seems you are very experienced with repairs and probably know general principals better than many of us. Hope you get it fixed.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply! I've already contacted a GM friend with an advanced scanner to check things over, but hunting season is in full swing here and his "free time" is taken up with the sport right now. But he seems to think I may be on the correct path..just need an analog VOM to "sweep the TPS to see drop off of a possible worn potentiometer that the TPS is. Which was the same thing with my MOPAR...only simpler design!
I don't get to drive this G6 very often, and have told the wife what to do if it happens. And she has not said about having further happenings for a couple weeks now. And for the memberships info...The wife loves the car and I'm "coming around" with it. Just that I like staying with brands I'm comfortable with maintaining myself. As my intro to the forum said, this was a mechanics "special" needing a trannie, and the one I put in it only had 80k miles on it(yes new filter and oil when installed) MAYBE it was just "settling in" when this "chuggle" started happening.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE: Well hunting season is in full swing with my GM friend, and I'm not having any luck with pulling the G6 away from my wife(still says it "chuggles" from time to time) to investigate. BUT have had time to research...
I am on the correct path about the TPS(on the throttle body). It is replaceable and held on with a number of spring clips. It is also NOT part of the main drive action to open/close the throttle air butterfly plate of the TB. One of the symptoms is trans shifting issues.
This part is used on a great number of GM years and motors, and I found that Standard Motor Products Part # ST445 is used for this 3.5 and MANY MANY GM applications. I've ordered one thru rockauto.com and will update further when changed(and quite easy to do).
Price thru them, and symptom and taking into account the 165K MILES and high heat area the part is subjected to makes for a good starting point to nail down this problem.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Good luck with it and thanks for keeping us updated. The information will most likely be useful to others.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts