Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It seems to me that most of 2006 GM owners (as well as for g6's owners) dislike the new GM badges on the side of their cars, which is quite small and almost anonymous. I think that GM should have gone all the way as Ford, Totoya, Mazda are doing, and also all other manufacturers, by identifying a large GM logo on all cars with a GM logo, plus a divison (Chevrolet, Pontiac, Cadillac, Saturn... ) afterwords. This way general public could identify a GM car, and afterwards it's division, as all other are doing. I see that some owners are more likely to get the badge off the cars than to keep it and identify themselves has GM owners. GM seems to have a idendity problem and by adding a small badge on the side of their cars does'nt help their identification problem.

GM : you are the bigest.... Identify yourself as such !!!!!!

GM should go 100% with a large and a nice large GM logo on all cars, as Ford does it, as well as other (Asian) manufacturers. This might help them to identify themselves as the world most largest car manufacturers....and make us, consumers, proud to own a GM car.

·
Registered
423 Posts
well, i don't think what GM was doing with their logo is the same thing you mentioned about the other manufacturers.

for instance, Toyota makes Lexus and Scion but you don't see a big 'TOYOTA' name or symbol on a Lexus or Scion. same with Ford. Ford makes Lincoln, Mercury, and owns Volvo, Jaguar, and i think Land Rover but you don't see a 'big blue oval' on any of THOSE car lines. also, Honda makes Acura and again, no 'HONDA' names or symbols on an Acura.

each of the car lines have their own badging or symbols to differentiate them from each other. what GM is doing, in my opinion, is they are showing that all these cars/trucks; GMC, Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac, Pontiac, etc.....belong to one family, GENERAL MOTORS. Chrysler did this years ago by putting their corporate logo, a Pentastar, on the lower right fender of each Chrysler, Dodge and Plymouth. in recent years, they tried to revive that to some extent but i believe they have now chosen to just use the individual car line symbols instead.

i, for one, LIKE what GM is trying to do; just a subtle reminder as to who is behind the design and manufacturing of these vehicles.

and of course after you buy a GM vehicle and you DON'T like the GM emblems, well they're not like a mattress tag.....there is no penalty under law if you remove them!!! :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
^^^agreed. I also like the GM mark. Its not gawdy or ugly. Its good marketing and in my opinion adds a touch of class to the companys brand image.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I think Vette79 needs to chime back in and explain what he is talking about, as half of the things he said don't make sense. As far as the GM badge goes- I really don't mind it, its easy to take off if you have a problem with it. All it does is create unity across brands. It may, in a way, devalue a premium brand as I am sure a Cadillac XLR driver might mind having the same badge as a Chevy Aveo owner, but if that really bothers you, just take it off!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I don't think GM's general badge inspires enough to replace the bowtie, the arrowhead, or the Saturn logo.

Besides, if you did that, people would have one hell of a time distingushing the cars that GM rebadges. *coughTorrentCobaltWave*

Not that that's a bad thing. I just think GM needs to work out its image a bit more.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To clarify my point: I posted this thread so to get some feedback on a as possible scenario with a GM large badge on all products. And feedbacks i'm getting !
I was wandering why some G6's owners where removing the GM badge? Was it because it's too small? or ugly? or other reasons???.

·
Registered
423 Posts
vette79 said:
I was wandering why some G6's owners where removing the GM badge? Was it because it's too small? or ugly? or other reasons???.
maybe you should have just asked THAT?.......makes more sense.

as for me, i like the GM emblems and i have actually thought about buying a couple and putting them on my '05.

but then again, thats just me and to each his own...... :agree2:

·
Registered
423 Posts
just thought of this......GM did this years ago as well on all their cars and trucks.

when you would open the door, on the sill plate, there were the words; 'BODY BY FISHER' with the a little blue "GM" logo as well. and you would find this on everything from a Cadillac DeVille to a Chevy Nova. it just wasn't something that was noticable while looking at the outside of the vehicle.

again, i see nothing wrong with it.....and how they have chosen to market their product today? well, its alot easier to remove a small stick-on emblem than having to remove an entire sill plate with the GM emblem STAMPED into the aluminum!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
72 Posts
<geezer alert -- there will be a reference to the "old days" in this message. Folks offended by such should skip ahead. :p >
as for me, i like the GM emblems and i have actually thought about buying a couple and putting them on my '05.
The 1963 and 1964 Studebaker Avanti differed only in the existence of a grill over the opening below the front bumper. Several 1963 Avanti owners were buying the grill to add to theirs in an effort to make their last year's model look newer.
Are you trying to pull a fast one here, G6Action?
</geezer alert>

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a 1976 Lincoln Mercury/Ford Capri. On the front hood were five individual chrome letters that spelled C A P R I. There was one person I saw that changed the letter order to spell C R A P I. Be very careful of the multiple badges. People can get creative.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I personally removed mine because I didnt think they flowed well with the car. I don't think it was a bad idea but could have been done a little better that slapping a plastic square on the fender. Personally I think the car just looks alot cleaner with out it, I also removed the back emblems as well, just seemed like to much and they were so plain!

·
Registered
142 Posts
EXACTLY, if they wanted GM on every car... drop the subdivisions and make one company! Cars wouldnt sell nearly as much I'd bet!! When someone asks what car you drive you dont hear people say "GM Pontiac G6"

·
Registered
423 Posts
RKH said:
<geezer alert -- there will be a reference to the "old days" in this message. Folks offended by such should skip ahead. :p >

The 1963 and 1964 Studebaker Avanti differed only in the existence of a grill over the opening below the front bumper. Several 1963 Avanti owners were buying the grill to add to theirs in an effort to make their last year's model look newer.
Are you trying to pull a fast one here, G6Action?
</geezer alert>
you could say that about a number of cars from yesterday and today. sometimes the only difference between years is a Grille, Nameplate or even a Wheel or Wheel Cover.

so in answer to your question; no, not trying "to pull a fast one", as i would have to change the emblems on the deck lid as well. i just think the side of the G6 needs 'something' and the GM emblems would work for me. i also thought about putting a "G6 GT" on the door like some Pontiacs that say "Grand Prix" or "Bonneville" but it just doesn't have the same look.

maybe i could get a number of nameplates, mix the letters up and make one that says: "Old Geezer"......what do ya think about THAT? :agree2:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Personally, I think they are ugly. I especially wouldn't want a huge GM badge on my car. That would be the first thing I would rip off, even over the dealer decals.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts