Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started drag racing in 1964 with a '64 Malibu SS in stock class, evolved to Modified Production. '66 Pontiac Tempest Sprint came next with Bo Laws modifications, Doug's Header's, etc. and return to stock class. Always wanted to drive a dragster so got an NHRA license via Frank Hawley's Drag Racing School. I've had my 2007 G6 for 4 years and have no plans to buy anything else, unless I hit the lottery. In which case I'll be shopping for a car to run in Super Comp that could evolve into Top Dragster. Closest friends in the drag racing world are the Kenny Lang Pro Mod team, a great group of guys. Needless to say, I love watching the Pro Stock guys with their Pontiacs. Had a chance to drive a SS/AM Pontiac, but I just couldn't afford it at the time since whatever winnings I managed wouldn't cover the team expenses and relicensing for a door car.

·
Da.v3
597 Posts
o ya

·
Professional geek
433 Posts
Too bad it will never happen. I fell in love with the Trans Am in 1974, WAY before I could drive, and though I've only owned two I have always had a fondness for Pontiac.

Welcome to the site! I'm a sport diver myself, and am totally OK with that.

~ MattInSoCal

·
Registered
556 Posts
I thought there was rumor that they would eventually bring pontiac back? I dont see why they wouldn't, it would be stupid on their part.

JT

·
Registered
190 Posts
I thought there was rumor that they would eventually bring pontiac back? I dont see why they wouldn't, it would be stupid on their part.

JT
That was the rumor, but it was only based in the fact that GM wouldn't sell the Pontiac brand like they tried to sells Saturn and Hummer.

This is just my guess, but we'll never see Pontiac come back unless a new CEO of GM has a hard on for Pontiac and brings it back some day.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Pontiac had a large, loyal following, of which I am but one member. If Pontiac's fans and supporters lobbied GM to bring Pontiac back, who knows? If there's adequate demand for Pontiac, then GM--as a business--might respond.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah and the sad part is the total GM numbers seem to be strong without the brand (but imagine it with them) and it is all those corporate types think about anymore is dollars and not their image what the namesake means, etc. :( They just seem too disconnected from what the people want. I would love to see Pontiac again, but a true Pontiac, not some chinese sell-off; that would be the worst and glad that didn't happen; least not yet (selling to the chinese)...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yeah and the sad part is the total GM numbers seem to be strong without the brand (but imagine it with them) and it is all those corporate types think about anymore is dollars and not their image what the namesake means, etc. :( They just seem too disconnected from what the people want. I would love to see Pontiac again, but a true Pontiac, not some chinese sell-off; that would be the worst and glad that didn't happen; least not yet (selling to the chinese)...

I tell ya what, after owning a GTO and being in a G8, I'd gladly have GM bring over the entire Holden line re-branded as Pontiac's!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a 2006 GTO also and agree they should use more of the Australian cars (Holden) and rebadge them as Pontiac here, like they did with those...They were getting so on track and then, boom...Same thing with Hummer...and maybe even Saturn in some ways. Guess that's what happens when you have to ask for a bailout and then at the government's mercy. I haven't followed the latest from GM and where they're at now, but want to say they repaid the loans at least?

·
Registered
18 Posts
In time, the Feds will finally be out of GM's hair, and then GM will be free to resuscitate the Pontiac brand. I'll tell you what: I want Pontiac back in any way that it can come back. If it means re-badged Holdens, so be it. As long as the vehicles carry Pontiac's name and arrowhead. Pontiac was a great brand that simply MUST return. We as consumers must DEMAND that it return. The brand was TOO iconic---and had TOO LARGE and loyal a following---for it to STAY dead.

·
Gpof59
46 Posts
I think GM dumped Pontiac so they didn't have too revitalize the plants in Pontiac Mi. With the Goverment bailout and dropping of Pontiac, Saturn,Hummer, it's no surprise they are in the black now. Anyone been to Pontiac MI. lately? It's a ghost town. It would be really great if the Pontiac brand came back. I take Pontiac over Buick anyday.

·
Autobot Mechanic Lycan
125 Posts
I think GM dumped Pontiac so they didn't have too revitalize the plants in Pontiac Mi. With the Goverment bailout and dropping of Pontiac, Saturn,Hummer, it's no surprise they are in the black now. Anyone been to Pontiac MI. lately? It's a ghost town. It would be really great if the Pontiac brand came back. I take Pontiac over Buick anyday.
my thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, GM SHOULD renovate those Michigan factories; the people in the city of Pontiac could sure use the employment. Now that GM is profitable again, it can afford to revive the Pontiac brand. Pontiac SHOULD be brought back. It was a strong, iconic legacy brand, and it had a large, loyal following. Pontiac had been outselling Buick TWO-TO-ONE!

·
Registered
466 Posts
They had to axe Pontiac because it had been losing money for years. I think only the Vibe and the Grand Am/G6 were profitable.
It's ridiculous I know. GM viewed Pontiac as a damaged brand and they were the one that damaged it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
They had to axe Pontiac because it had been losing money for years. I think only the Vibe and the Grand Am/G6 were profitable.
It's ridiculous I know. GM viewed Pontiac as a damaged brand and they were the one that damaged it.
Precisely. However, Pontiac was TOO popular and iconic a brand, with TOO large a following, to REMAIN axed. Let's not forget that it was #3 at GM (and #4 Buick wasn't even close), and the #1 American brand in Canada. You simply CAN'T leave a brand like that, dead. GM should REVIVE Pontiac, and NOT damage it this time.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I hope they will revive it someday. But the general public have short memories. In 10 years or so, no one will care about Pontiac. Just look how many people missed Oldsmobile now? Oldsmobile at one time was second only to Cadillac in GM's family.

GM had to spare Buick at all costs because it's a best seller in China. In fact, GM's China operation was by far the most profitable sector in the whole company. The Chinese market was what kept GM alive for the last few years as they were bleeding heavily in North America and in Europe. Today, GM sells more cars in China than they do in America so there was no way they were going to kill the goose (Buick) that lays the golden eggs.

·
Autobot Mechanic Lycan
125 Posts
im sure if they brought back pontiac with the following line up of cars:

Firebird
Ragous (G8 by another name)
G6
Solstice (with a transformers editon like how chevy has for the camaro)
Pheniox (G5 by another name, or a pontiac version of the cruze, verano, and ats)
Nova or Supernova (A pontiac version of the equinox, terrain, SRX, encore, & vue)
Pyro (that G8 sports wagon that looks like a el camino)

it would go back to being the kick ass brand it was, and buick would return to caddilac's shadow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
im sure if they brought back pontiac with the following line up of cars:

Firebird
Ragous (G8 by another name)
G6
Solstice (with a transformers editon like how chevy has for the camaro)
Pheniox (G5 by another name, or a pontiac version of the cruze, verano, and ats)
Nova or Supernova (A pontiac version of the equinox, terrain, SRX, encore, & vue)
Pyro (that G8 sports wagon that looks like a el camino)

it would go back to being the kick ass brand it was, and buick would return to caddilac's shadow.
That sounds like an excellent line-up for a revived Pontiac. I hope someone from GM's front office takes notice.

Each time GM was confronted about murdering Pontiac rather than Buick, GM played the "China card." The fact of the matter is that Buick was a lousy seller here in the US. Pontiac was outselling Buick TWO-TO-ONE. If Buick sold so well in China, it should be sold ONLY in China, and let Pontiac continue selling in the US and Canada. Pontiac was the #1 American brand in Canada. Here in the US, Pontiac had five models and was considering a sixth (the G8 sport truck). Meanwhile, Buick had a measly THREE models. What a joke. That's almost as bad as Plymouth back in the late-1980s.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That sounds like an excellent line-up for a revived Pontiac. I hope someone from GM's front office takes notice.

Each time GM was confronted about murdering Pontiac rather than Buick, GM played the "China card." The fact of the matter is that Buick was a lousy seller here in the US. Pontiac was outselling Buick TWO-TO-ONE. If Buick sold so well in China, it should be sold ONLY in China, and let Pontiac continue selling in the US and Canada. Pontiac was the #1 American brand in Canada. Here in the US, Pontiac had five models and was considering a sixth (the G8 sport truck). Meanwhile, Buick had a measly THREE models. What a joke. That's almost as bad as Plymouth back in the late-1980s.
Correction: That's Plymouth in the early-1990s. In '90, Plymouth had three models. Buick was just as bad as that when Pontiac was murdered IN ITS PLACE in 2009. Plymouth was laid to rest in 2001. And Buick survived? At Pontiac's expense?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts