Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sounds like basically the same thing that happens on the 05-06s. If anyone has this they should contact GM. Bet they'll actually be attentive to you because of bad PR.

DETROIT - General Motors Co is recalling 1.3 million compact cars in North America to address a power steering problem that has been linked to 14 crashes and one injury, the company said on Tuesday.

U.S. safety regulators opened an investigation on January 27 into approximately 905,000 Cobalt models in the United States after receiving more than 1,100 complaints of power steering failures. The complaints included 14 crashes and one injury.

The recall covers the 2005-2010 model year Chevrolet Cobalt and 2007-2010 Pontiac G5 in the United States; 2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuit sold in Canada, and the 2005-2006 Pontiac G4 sold in Mexico, GM said in a statement.

GM said it told the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration about the voluntary recall on Monday after concluding its own investigation that began in 2009.

GM said the affected vehicles can be still be "safely controlled" but it may require greater steering effort under 15 mph. Drivers will see a warning light and hear a chime if the power steering fails.

"After our in-depth investigation, we found that this is a condition that takes time to develop. It tends to occur in older models out of warranty," GM Vice President of Quality Jamie Hresko said in the statement.

"Recalling these vehicles is the right thing to do for our customers' peace of mind," he said.

GM said it is currently developing a remedy to fix the problem and will notify customers when the plan is finalized.

The recall comes at a time of heighted public and regulatory scrutiny over vehicle safety issues in the wake of massive recalls by Toyota Motor Corp.

Toyota global quality control chief Shinichi Sasaki and North American President Yoshimi Inaba are scheduled to appear before a Senate committee on Tuesday for a third hearing on its handling of consumer complaints about sudden acceleration.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yup........2005 G6 already lost power steering several times the past 4 months. Warning light came on, bell rang and power steering GONE ! ! Ive been fighting with the dealer about front rotors warping & brake shutter.......Popping in the steering/front end when I hit certain bumps........I could almost swear that the starter keeps running on momentarily after car is started.......It also feels like some kind of a thump when you turn the steering wheel back & forth to the left & right real quick and a few other complaints that are just a pain in the @$$ ! ! I got the G6 in Feb '05 and just broke 30,000 miles. All this wrong with it and only 30K ! ! ! Guess Ill go down now and fight about the powersteering ! ! ! The power steering going out happened while my wife was driving also and almost had a accident ! !

Well here goes another wasted day at the dealer ! ! ! !

Poncho

·
Young Punk
76 Posts
Yup........2005 G6 already lost power steering several times the past 4 months. Warning light came on, bell rang and power steering GONE ! ! Ive been fighting with the dealer about front rotors warping & brake shutter.......Popping in the steering/front end when I hit certain bumps........I could almost swear that the starter keeps running on momentarily after car is started.......It also feels like some kind of a thump when you turn the steering wheel back & forth to the left & right real quick and a few other complaints that are just a pain in the @$$ ! ! I got the G6 in Feb '05 and just broke 30,000 miles. All this wrong with it and only 30K ! ! ! Guess Ill go down now and fight about the powersteering ! ! ! The power steering going out happened while my wife was driving also and almost had a accident ! !

Well here goes another wasted day at the dealer ! ! ! !

Poncho
the power steering: call gm customer contact center, ask about the recall, ask why the g6 wasn't involved. I'm on the phone with them right now, talking to the nearest dealership. I'd also say have your tie-rods checked (mine were one bump away from popping off when i had them replaced) and I had that "popping" you described.
as for the rotors: you're right. they're absolute shiet. I'd advise getting some slotted and drilled (or dimpled if you prefer) rotors and metallic pads. there's a great write-up in here about replacing the rotors and pads, you can do it yourself in a couple hours.
I bought my slotted and drilled rotors from brakemotive, they come with a lifetime warpage warrantee (which i find nice to have) and I haven't had a problem with them since (and I make regular trips through the rockies up here in canada, with a fair bit of "spirit" you could say).

but, as i said, call gm, say you've had the power steering fail, they should help. aside fom that: tie-rods and new rotors made my baby feel whole again.

Also, out of curiousity, was your G6 built in the Orion plant? I'm trying to figure out if there's any relation (mine came from Orion).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I called GM about my 2006 G6 power steering. They blew me off. I had to spend over 700 dollars to get it fix. They act like they don't know about it. What happens is that the power steering will apear on when first start the car and go away and eventually the steering wheel will jerk and rattle all by itself and then power steering will go in and out. I made a complaint with NHTSA- 1-888-327-4236 . If you have the same problem please call NHTSA. This needs to be recalled!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.