Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing some research and have come up with very little as far as tuning hardware/software for these cars, and I know that WAMS is no longer an option since they have stopped supporting the G6. I also know that HPTuners isn't the best for this platform, but is that my only option?

My other question, is, is it possible to tune with a GM tech 2 or 3 tool? I know they will allow me to access the speed limiter (which has already been done on mine thanks to a friend) and a few other things like reprogramming a stereo unit or key fobs, but what about engine management?

I have access to the programming and tuning knowledge that's needed, just wanting to know what will be the best way to apply it. The one advantage I have is the ability to do about 90% of the work myself, and the other 10% would come from friends that own shops and are willing to help after-hours with the more complicated stuff.

And I'm well aware of the challenges that come with trying to squeeze more performance from these cars. I think those challenges are the very reason I want to modify it in the first place. There's a lot of room left to be the first to do a lot of things to it. lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tech2 cannot tune. All you can do is flash new configurations to existing modules... so like, if you've got a 2006 or earlier with the sloppy TCM config (long 1-2, 2-3), you can flash the new config to tighten up shifts. You can verify available configurations flashable with a Tech2 here: https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web... just enter your VIN into the box and choose "all" rather than a specific subsystem... you'll get a full-system report there.

No such thing as a tech3 that I'm aware of. You may mean an MDI or MDI2... but the only thing they get you is Tech2Win, and the added option of doing a fast TCM relearn after wiping the adapt tables. Tech2 is handier... but still... won't work for your needs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts