Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one full synthetic oil in there cars? Do they affect performance any, also what are some good ones to buy?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I think he's agreeing with the use of Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. I use it and love it as well.
It seems to be a very popular synthetic choice among many GM owners, especially a lot of CTS-V and and Corvette guys, etc.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Same here. Only Mobile 1 full synthetic and K&N oil filters.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
113 Posts
So what are the advantages of synthetic over regular? Any noticeable differences? I've always ran mobil 5000 with no problems. Is it worth the extra cost?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Synthetic oil can withstand more abuse and higher temperature before breaking down. Plus with some oils and depending on the way you drive you could go further between oil changes.

Synthetics are also engineered with additives to help prevent seal leaks and better detergents than conventional... or so I've heard, I'm sure there may be some variance on what others say.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Cruisin's description is in line with my understanding. I know after switching to Mobile 1 many years ago my oil seems to be in better shape between changes. Its a premium cost but its the life blood of the engine. I want to keep my six around for a while. At least until Pontiac comes back ;-)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
470 Posts
I've been running Amsoil full synthetic 5W30 since the car had 2000miles on it. As I don't drive it as much as I used to (9-10K miles a year), I change the oil once every two years. Last July when I changed the oil and filter (all installed for two years), I only added 1.5 quarts over that two year period, and 1.5 years in, I sucked some oil out and sent it in for analysis. The results came back and it showed 32% oil life remaining with very minimal deposits and the oil was well within specification. In June, I had put 18,700 miles on, and the oil is rated at 25,000miles (or one year - but I let it go longer). This is the second time now I've done a two year oil change with no ill effect on anything. Next year, when it's oil change time again, I'll pull off the valve cover gaskets and take some photos. I might even drop the oil pan depending on how I feel that day and check for any possible sludge deposits.

To date it still starts and runs fantastic. I just rolled over 52,000miles this week. I blame the lower than usual mileage on a recent 2012 200 V6 sedan purchase - ha. As that car is under warranty I'll change the oil each year as per Amsoil guidelines.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts