Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have a '99 Grand Am 2 door but need a sedan as we have a baby on the way. Was looking to possibly upgrade to a G6 since I don't think we can afford a Grand Prix at this time.

Has anyone else gone from a GA to a G6 and if so, what are your thoughts?

One main features that I absolutely LOVE on my GA is the automatic headlights that turn on when it gets dark. Didn't see this mentioned in any of the G6 literature I've seen so I'll be disappointed if that isn't on them...

But other than that, is there much difference or something compeltely different or what?

Thanks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
THe G6 does have the automatic headlights, atleast mine does.. also I think they actually upgraded the GA with this one.. my friend has a 99 GA and the G6 interior is much cleaner and classier.. also the ride is very smooth and the car is quick.. it would be a good decision to go with the G6.. definitely one of the best cars in this price range..

·
Registered
107 Posts
I updated from a 98 grand am to G6 we love the G6 has the automatic head lights as well alot more room then the grand am .When we were test driving cars we drove both the grand prix as well as the G6 we felt like there was actualy more room leg and sholder in the G6 and the ride we liked better as well

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah we went from a 01 Gasei witht he 2.4 and upgraded to the G6GT and love it. Glad we went with it. So much nicer drive and the interior much nicer too. (no more gm light grey carpeting hey).

·
Registered
67 Posts
I still have my 2002 Grand Am SE1 and the 05 G6 GT. I love both cars. My seats in my grand am are a little more comfortable than the seats in the G6. I love the panoramic sunroof and the new 5 spoke wheels. The interior is clean on the G6 however I dont like the hard plastic because in the one I drive it seems to make a lot of noise when its cold. Styling is very subjective the GA is more sportier looking in my eyes and the G6 is more clean. I think its a good replacment for a grand am though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
xtremegrandam said:
I think its a good replacment for a grand am though.
I think that's the key right there. As a replacement I believe it would do a very good job. If you're looking at upgrading, you might be left with some to be desired.

At least until the GXP and convertible models come out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Gimli said:
If you're looking at upgrading, you might be left with some to be desired.

At least until the GXP and convertible models come out.
Exactly!

The only major thing that bothers me about the G6 that cant be fixed is its price. (let me rephrase that it can be fixed but I doubt GM will) The price of the G6 I drive was more than I would have personally paid. But since I didnt pay for it I cant complain. But if you are getting one without the panoramic sunroof its not terrible I guess.

·
Registered
557 Posts
My G6 is so much more car than my 2001 GA GT. Some things my G6 has that the GA didn't: 17" wheels, manumatic tranny, 6 cd changer, driver info center, onstar, XM (avalible on GA since 2003), 200 Horses, power pedals, larger standard sunroof (I skipped the panoramic), more speakers in the stereo system. Those are just some of the options I got, there are more availible that the GA didn't have: curtain airbags, heated seats, panoramic roof, stability control (GTP). The only thing my GA had that my G6 doesn't is a leather wrapped steering wheel (of all the places to save a buck :mad: ). The G6 is a bigger step up from the GA than most people give it credit for. In fact, I bought it over a Grand Prix because I thought that car was not equipped nearly as nice for the same price. As far as price goes, the sticker was 4000 more than my grand am, but my lease price is less each month!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had a 99 4cyl coupe that served me well. I thought the materials used in the interior of the GA had a nicer feel, even thought I agree with you about the bland grey. Still not thrilled about the all black in my G6, I changed the silver trim to wood grain (actual GM parts) to get a little color in there. I do like the chrome touches. I worry the seats will show wear, the GA went 101,000 miles, seats and carpet all in good shape. I have the G6 sedan, I miss the coupe, I don't have kids, two extra doors just break up the lines ad are useless to me. I like that the new coupes have postless doors. Couldn't they have done that on the GA?

I feel the threshold for the trunk could be larger. The trunk has ample space, but can barely fit things through the opening. I do like the new windshield washers in the hood, on the GA they were in the wiper arms, kept freezing up on me. The drive-by-wire accelerator is a little weird, it'll take some getting use to. Power is there but you need to stomp on it to get it, otherwise it tries to drive in a gas-sipping mode. Would have been nice if Pontiac offered a wider range of colors, I would have liked a midnight-blue, Chevy offers it.
I sound negative here but overall I like the car. It's doing very well on gas. The looks are growing on me. I'd be happier if it would stop raining so I could clean it. Maybe I should have bought a SeaRay :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts