Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been brainstorming things that I could do to my car, and I was thinking about throwing white or blue led's in the space behind my grill to give them a backlit effect. Just wondering if people have done this yet, or if it is legal? (I did a search and couldn't find anything).
Opinions would be much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I don't know how the laws are in MI. I know in IL you can't have underglow or anything similar due to the possibility of distracting people and causing accidents.

Sounds like a fun idea to try. I assume your thinking the upper grill? If I were you I'd try to hide the actual light itself, So you don't see where it's coming from, you just see the glow from it. Maybe match the LED's in your EE...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I grew up in MI and I do believe what you are thinking about doing would be illegal. I don't know if the laws have changed in the last 7 years since I have been gone, but I like your idea, I think it would look awesome!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CrusinG6- Yes, I am thinking purely the upper grill.
06coupegt- I'm gonna keep doing some more research to see if I can find a law.

I won't be adding the lights till spring, once the weather is more cooperative. I think I am going to do it, but wire it into a switch inside the car or something, that way I can run with it on until I see a cop, then quick switch it off. I'll starting looking into how I can wedge it in there so there is only glow, I'm sure I will figure something out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That would look sooo sicks. Im pretty sure for something like that, most states' laws say that to have them on you need to be parked. At the very least, I would say they cannot be red or blue(emergency colors), but if you get a switch installed too it really shouldnt be to much of a problem. Tell me how it goes, and where you install them cause if it works I would like to do this too.

·
Registered
88 Posts
in all 50 states to operate a vehicle with Red, Blue or White lights visible while in operation is considered impersonating an emergency response vehicle. While the car is parked is legal

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have been brainstorming things that I could do to my car, and I was thinking about throwing white or blue led's in the space behind my grill to give them a backlit effect. Just wondering if people have done this yet, or if it is legal? (I did a search and couldn't find anything).
Opinions would be much appreciated!
I have the LED strips on where the fogs are at, I hooked them up to my auto lights, I live in IL and have had no problems with the police.

As long as your license plate you can still see from 50 feet I think it is, its okay.

Then again i'm not a cop so I don't know all the rules.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ryangski- thanks!

kcolgan- good to know, I'm gonna wire them to my headlights, but splice in a switch someone, then wire that through to the center counsel or somewhere by my left foot. I'm gonna chat with a couple of cops I know fairly well and see what the issues would be, if any. But either way, the switch would eliminate possible problems.

·
Registered
911 Posts
take two led strips and cut them to fit and have them shine down from a mounted position as high as you can so you can't see the strips/bulbs but will pretty bright and you can adjust the brightness by cutting it more and more

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts